• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Limit the number of bumps

I'm in agreement on this. Unless you're dropping the price or removing some items in a multi item thread, I see no reason to bump more than 4 or 5 times max with no sale. I agree that such instances result in a very cluttered board. Seeing items that have been bumped every two days for weeks on end seems rather pointless.

Bumping per 48 hours is fine. you can also choose to ignore it just as easy. most boards are 24 hours.
If anything find a way for me to ignore it .

Title says it all. Some for sale threads get bumped too much. It's turning into Craigslist where people edit their post to stay at the top. I know there is already a 48 hour rule for bumps but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Or some use their 2nd/3rd/4th/5th ..... account (or have buddies, family members, relatives, neighbors, etc.) to post unnecessary comments just for the sake of bumping up or creating the impression of interest.

Having multiple accounts is against forum rules, and mods pay attention to that by looking at IPs.

Having other members posting comments to create the impression of interest is called shilling and is also against forum rules. If someone thinks that's happening, report it.

And I agree that discussions should be kept out of exchange threads.

But if someone is following the rules and not bumping more frequently than allowed, there's no reason to limit how many times it can be bumped. New people join all the time looking for who knows what, and making your product visible is part of the game.

There is a search function for that...or put the stuff on ebay.

If people are cool with a crappy exchange section like craigslist so be it. Just trying to make things a little better on here.

I personally don't see many issues with the exchange threads. If I see a thread that is being bumped regularly (within forum guidelines) and I'm not interested, I simply skip over it. Bottom line, if you're not looking to buy or make an offer, just move on. A bumped thread never hurt anyone.

Whats a 'bump' and why would you do it ? (im 50 something)

any new comment added to a thread takes it to the top of that thread. your addition to this thread actually bumped it back to the top!!

'bump' is just a word used when people are taking their thread back to the top but by even putting a full stop will do the same....

Last edited:
What he said...

The "why" is for visibility - as other threads are added and bumped, your sale thread gets pushed down to latter pages; bumping it puts it back in front of everybody.

To the OP, I don't think that editing a post bumps it to the top - only adding a new comment does that. Right?

48 hours rule seems fine.

I dislike when people sell something and then add a comment to state 'sold', bumping to the top. Just change the Title and/or edit your last post assuming you are a premium member. If a non-premium member, just lock it.

But generally the Exchange works well and I appreciate the forum for trade it provides.

Back