• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Linegear NXT Varia lens review

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
A while back @SEAN WAYNE sent me some Linegear NXT Varia lenses to try out. These are the fancy ones that get dark and light like Transitions. I went with Fire for Juliet. I’m not an aftermarket parts guy so this is the first time I’ve worn lenses other than Oakley. I mean that too, since 1992 I’ve only worn Oakley. I’ve tried on Oakleys I’ve bought that came with aftermarket lenses but almost immediately I could tell my eyes weren’t about that. Then when I would take them out they would be paper thin. I could bend the lens in half with two fingers. How the **** is that supposed to protect my eyes from flying debris? Who knows what brand they were.

So these Linegear NXT Varia lenses show up right in the middle of winter. Not that it’s cold but the sun has been on hiatus for a minute. I couldn’t wear them right away but I figured I’d check them out and get them ready for when I could wear them. The first thing I noticed was the cool as **** box they come in. Seriously, I need more of these to store my lenses in. Foam is out, boxes are where it’s at.

1169CFF2-0423-44E5-B4C0-BBA393C267BD.jpeg
65F55023-FD98-4138-8D3D-6EFFCCF11F33.jpeg

Through the box I can see the color is nice. I opened them up and much to my surprise they’re thick. I expected thin little lenses but these weren’t bad. Damn near OEM thickness as far as I could see. The color is really nice too. Like that old fire. I can definitely tell they’re higher light transmission lenses.

181C7C15-C72A-47EC-A73B-17B2DA1DC327.jpeg
D605DC67-3055-4726-9DED-E7E91BC988C2.jpeg

So I found a juliet frame to put them in. I expected a good fit since these are from Linegear and I was not let down. The fit was perfect, just like OEM. I put it on, looked around the room, and set it on a shelf in a display case until the sun decided to come back. Finally a few days ago it did.

2BE5AE1D-1740-4B7D-9669-7DD846F9C130.jpeg
AE23BAE2-1222-4B19-8FDB-AE8ED278C2B1.jpeg
6B99106C-681E-4BA6-B554-3EB32C22F360.jpeg

Let me first say DAMN! These lenses are cool as **** when you go outside in bright sunlight. They really do get darker, it’s not just a marketing gimmick. I can’t measure light transmission so I can’t give you numbers but I can tell you that my eyes are really sensitive to the sun and these lenses got dark enough for it not to bother me but didn’t go black as night like some aftermarket lenses I’ve seen. Those things look like they’re for welding but these are good. I wore them around most of the day and much to my surprise I got no headache and never got dizzy.

00F37833-441A-42A2-8D5B-03036A6EB520.jpeg

I didn’t wear the lenses long enough enough to warrant a cleaning but I wanted to see how hard or easy they were to clean. I put a nice fat thumb print right in the middle of one of them and let it sit there a minute before I cleaned them. It was just like cleaning Oakley lenses. Maybe these didn’t feel like they’d scratch as easily but who knows. That could be all in my head.

In summation I can honestly say these lenses seem like good ones. I did no impact test so I’m not sure I’d cut grass in them until that was done but they seem like quality lenses. I think they’re around $100 for a set. Would I pay that? No. But only because I can cut my own. If I was in the market for transition type lenses these would definitely be what I wanted.

Bottom line: I would recommend these lenses as an alternative to OEM.

6D199538-CDB9-44E6-A3B7-BA1A2B26E09D.jpeg
81300DFF-AC2C-4A7B-9443-A2D3884C259F.jpeg

Thanks @SEAN WAYNE for sending me these to review, I do like them.

And NO ETCHING/ADVERTISING!
:dance2:
(I’m lookin’ at you, “Fuze+“ and “Mr.Shield”).

Yep I forgot to mention that but that is something else I liked. Nobody can say they’re trying to pass them off as OEM either because of that step bevel.

I’ve always said that even though I don’t use aftermarket parts I respected LG because Daisuke and Kimsan put their hearts into it. I’m glad to see that post Kimsan that still seems to be the case.

Yep I forgot to mention that but that is something else I liked. Nobody can say they’re trying to pass them off as OEM either because of that step bevel.

I’ve always said that even though I don’t use aftermarket parts I respected LG because Daisuke and Kimsan put their hearts into it. I’m glad to see that post Kimsan that still seems to be the case.

Are these Zeis lenses? Asking for @PlaceholderUK

Latest Posts

Back