• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Linegear NXT Varia Lens Review

Parth mentioned fitment was perfect. One way to demonstrate that is to view the lens from the rear with a polarized lens when looking at a light source. If the lens fits perfectly, then a polarized picture will clearly demonstrate an absence of stress bands. Conversely, a lens that doesn't fit perfectly will have rainbow color banding refractory patterns around the stress points of the lens/frame interface. It goes without saying that the periphery of the lens vision will be somewhat distorted if the fit isn't "perfect"

20200329_194702.jpg

20200329_194635.jpg

20200329_194736.jpg

Nice post. Can you show a shot with the Oakley OEM lenses? That would be a great side by side.

What I think I am seeing in the lens pictures you have posted is some color banding. Look from the center of the lens outward and I see a rainbow effect from center towards the periphery. Does the Oakley OEM do that? Will that have any impact on overall quality of filtered vision; color, distortion, acuity? Personally, knowing the perchance for perceived excellence by Oakley collectors, Linegear could definitely gain some clout with testing and posting that stuff up or better having a credible qualified independent test lenses and simply point to the tests and let the results speak for themselves. I think Oakley built a reputation on really going the extra distance, almost to an insane point "beyond reason" to make their case for optics and the active lifestyle community.

Nice post. Can you show a shot with the Oakley OEM lenses? That would be a great side by side.

What I think I am seeing in the lens pictures you have posted is some color banding. Look from the center of the lens outward and I see a rainbow effect from center towards the periphery. Does the Oakley OEM do that? Will that have any impact on overall quality of filtered vision; color, distortion, acuity? Personally, knowing the perchance for perceived excellence by Oakley collectors, Linegear could definitely gain some clout with testing and posting that stuff up or better having a credible qualified independent test lenses and simply point to the tests and let the results speak for themselves. I think Oakley built a reputation on really going the extra distance, almost to an insane point "beyond reason" to make their case for optics and the active lifestyle community.

Shot of what side by side? Can you be specific?

What I think I am seeing in the lens pictures you have posted is some color banding. Look from the center of the lens outward and I see a rainbow effect from center towards the periphery. Does the Oakley OEM do that?
That's color shift from the iridium - original Oakley fire lenses do that too. Any iridium lens that is not a consistent color will have varying degrees of color banding. Neither Oakley or LG color banding seems to have an affect on clarity, but both do show signs of color distortion if the iridium colorshift is bad enough.

Linegear could definitely gain some clout with testing and posting that stuff up or better having a credible qualified independent test lenses and simply point to the tests and let the results speak for themselves.
I agree. I do think they are a quality lens - but as someone with limited tools to do testing, I can't do standardized tests. I can only show basic tests that I know can check for certain things (like prism compensation, clarity) and subjective opinion.

I was just suggesting to post a pic of the Linegear NXT lens and then show the same shot with the Oakley lens - showing the similarities or differences if that is possible. It looks like you have done about as much as you can do with the visuals I supposed. Not trying to sharpshoot you at all -thanks again for the review and your efforts.

At some point, we are all going to run out of OEMs and custom cuts so knowing what the next best alternative is really helpful.

I was just suggesting to post a pic of the Linegear NXT lens and then show the same shot with the Oakley lens - showing the similarities or differences if that is possible. It looks like you have done about as much as you can do with the visuals I supposed. Not trying to sharpshoot you at all -thanks again for the review and your efforts.

At some point, we are all going to run out of OEMs and custom cuts so knowing what the next best alternative is really helpful.

Oh, no offense taken buddy! I too want to know the facts and the facts only. I told LG when I accepted the lens to try out that I am going to give my honest opinion only and if I can't do that, they should not send me the lens. I've stated that opinion but numbers from a testing authority to confirm my opinion would be fantastic.

I'll try to take a picture later in the evening for you showcasing the scenario you've asked.

Parth mentioned fitment was perfect. One way to demonstrate that is to view the lens from the rear with a polarized lens when looking at a light source. If the lens fits perfectly, then a polarized picture will clearly demonstrate an absence of stress bands. Conversely, a lens that doesn't fit perfectly will have rainbow color banding refractory patterns around the stress points of the lens/frame interface. It goes without saying that the periphery of the lens vision will be somewhat distorted if the fit isn't "perfect"

For what it’s worth, my OEM C6 lenses had a lot of distortion and actually cracked in one lens, so I wouldn’t say they always nail it.

I’m looking into these lenses for a R2

Hello OF,

A few months back, I was sent a pair of LG Nxt Varia lenses to review from @SEAN WAYNE. I will admit, initially, I was a bit skeptic as I am typically an OEM only guy. However, I decided that I would be as objective as I can be and give the lenses a fair shot. Over the past few months, I have worn these and compared them with my other Oakley OEM lenses. I wanted a long term comparison, as I felt it was more objective and fair - since the lenses have a lot of technology packed into them. I did not want all the cool things the lenses do to artificially inflate the review.

First off, I would like to discuss the material composition of the lens:
- They are composed of TRIVEX (what NXT refers to) and are an upgrade over polycarbonate - offering as much impact protection, but increased clarity.

Varia - What does it mean?
Now, I would like to mention that these lenses have another marketing term: "VARIA". It stands for variable light transmission. So, in reduced light settings, the lens will allow in more light (whilst still hiding your eyes due to the iridium layer). Alternatively, in increased light settings, the light transmission will decrease. They do get dark enough to the point that I can wear them in both the sunniest of days as well as the cloudiest of days. It definitely is a very versatile lens! Additionally, when the lenses darken, the iridium changes slightly as well. I notice that the iridium will go from new fire iridium (in low light) to old school fire iridium (in bright light).

Fitment
Fitment was on par with OEM. It was a perfect fit for the model I tested them in (Pitboss I). I popped them into various Pitboss I frames and each one accepted the lens perfectly with no signs of wiggle or gaps shown.

Clarity
I am particularly sensitive to clarity, and in all honesty - I found these lenses as clear, if not clearer than OEM Oakley lenses. This may be due to the upgraded material choice. I am no expert, but I would attribute it to that.

Depth Perception
These lenses appeared to be prism compensated. As a result, no depth distortion was found.

Headaches?
I experienced absolutely no headaches with these and I have been known to be particularly sensitive.

Overall Opinion
While these lenses, admittedly, are a bit pricey. I do think that they are worth the money (especially when they go on sale). They are definitely a good alternative to OEM lenses - especially for frames where there may not be an OEM donor available.

Million Dollar Question - Would You Personally Buy Them?
Yes, and no. I would buy them for a frame where an Oakley OEM matching BC donor does not exist (C-Six, for example). However, for other situations, I would not. That decision, however, is due to the fact that I have many donor lenses I can cut. For someone not in that situation, these would be a good choice. I can say if an OEM matching BC donor did not exist, I could happily pick these and not feel like I was missing out on Oakley quality or clarity.

Pictures (to show difference in iridium in indoor conditions vs. outdoor sunny conditions):
View attachment 716912

Indoor conditions, ambient lighting:
View attachment 716913
View attachment 716915
View attachment 716916
@Linegear Japan Now you just need to start making lenses for an O
Hello OF,

A few months back, I was sent a pair of LG Nxt Varia lenses to review from @SEAN WAYNE. I will admit, initially, I was a bit skeptic as I am typically an OEM only guy. However, I decided that I would be as objective as I can be and give the lenses a fair shot. Over the past few months, I have worn these and compared them with my other Oakley OEM lenses. I wanted a long term comparison, as I felt it was more objective and fair - since the lenses have a lot of technology packed into them. I did not want all the cool things the lenses do to artificially inflate the review.

First off, I would like to discuss the material composition of the lens:
- They are composed of TRIVEX (what NXT refers to) and are an upgrade over polycarbonate - offering as much impact protection, but increased clarity.

Varia - What does it mean?
Now, I would like to mention that these lenses have another marketing term: "VARIA". It stands for variable light transmission. So, in reduced light settings, the lens will allow in more light (whilst still hiding your eyes due to the iridium layer). Alternatively, in increased light settings, the light transmission will decrease. They do get dark enough to the point that I can wear them in both the sunniest of days as well as the cloudiest of days. It definitely is a very versatile lens! Additionally, when the lenses darken, the iridium changes slightly as well. I notice that the iridium will go from new fire iridium (in low light) to old school fire iridium (in bright light).

Fitment
Fitment was on par with OEM. It was a perfect fit for the model I tested them in (Pitboss I). I popped them into various Pitboss I frames and each one accepted the lens perfectly with no signs of wiggle or gaps shown.

Clarity
I am particularly sensitive to clarity, and in all honesty - I found these lenses as clear, if not clearer than OEM Oakley lenses. This may be due to the upgraded material choice. I am no expert, but I would attribute it to that.

Depth Perception
These lenses appeared to be prism compensated. As a result, no depth distortion was found.

Headaches?
I experienced absolutely no headaches with these and I have been known to be particularly sensitive.

Overall Opinion
While these lenses, admittedly, are a bit pricey. I do think that they are worth the money (especially when they go on sale). They are definitely a good alternative to OEM lenses - especially for frames where there may not be an OEM donor available.

Million Dollar Question - Would You Personally Buy Them?
Yes, and no. I would buy them for a frame where an Oakley OEM matching BC donor does not exist (C-Six, for example). However, for other situations, I would not. That decision, however, is due to the fact that I have many donor lenses I can cut. For someone not in that situation, these would be a good choice. I can say if an OEM matching BC donor did not exist, I could happily pick these and not feel like I was missing out on Oakley quality or clarity.

Pictures (to show difference in iridium in indoor conditions vs. outdoor sunny conditions):
View attachment 716912

Indoor conditions, ambient lighting:
View attachment 716913
View attachment 716915
View attachment 716916
@Linegear Japan Now you just need to start making lenses for an Oakley C-Six!
Thoroughly review, won`t hesitate to puchase from LineGear

Latest Posts

Back