• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Literal spiked Radar EV

That’s the ugliest **** I’ve ever seen. Just when you think Suxottica couldn’t destroy the O brand more than it has, they put out this abortion candidate of a pair of glasses
Hold your beer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just wonder about the economics behind these collaborations. Who pays what to whom? There can't be a lot of inventory with these things. These brands gotta be paying Luxottica major money for the right to use the branding.

They are not going after the mainstream user, that's for sure. That market is probably saturated. Luxottica put out $600 Carbon Prime and months later, some wholesaler is selling them for $250. You can get $100 Radar Pace now, they were $449. Sounds like the average user is not going to pay MSRP for an Oakley branded product.

I just wonder about the economics behind these collaborations. Who pays what to whom? There can't be a lot of inventory with these things. These brands gotta be paying Luxottica major money for the right to use the branding.

They are not going after the mainstream user, that's for sure. That market is probably saturated. Luxottica put out $600 Carbon Prime and months later, some wholesaler is selling them for $250. You can get $100 Radar Pace now, they were $449. Sounds like the average user is not going to pay MSRP for an Oakley branded product.

With the collaborations, the mindset would be what you said earlier: names and limited releases hope to yield sellouts while marketing both parties.
The designer surely gets their cut, but the markup should surely put the brand well ahead for gains (especially if we're talking >500% over standard retail)

This particular collab straight up looks dumb. I mean I don't take Off-White sneakers to be all too creative as people wish to hype them for, but they're not....this.

The spikes on eyewear is a very old school Oakley thing to do. Oakley used to customize all sorts of stuff with them. Most of the ones seen are on the OTTs and goggles. I have also seen a Medusa with similar spikes. Fortunately that design element had become passé within HQ walls so it is surprising to see it back as a collab.

As for the price....well that is just another story all together. It is less about the material than it is about the branding. For any luxury brand with a well regarded name there will always be some sucker to pay whatever ludicrous price they charge. This is just an example of that.

Just got my pair and one of the smaller spikes are loose...I'm not sending them back for repair, I fear they will take too long and I'll miss the Governors Inauguration. I'm gonna fix them myself and maybe add a few things with my Bedazzler. Rhinestones are amazing...but you all know that.

Updates to follow!

Latest Posts

Back