• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Locking Down The Forum

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
Los Angeles, CA
What do you think of requiring guests to register before being able to view the forums? As the site grows a lot of the members (myself included) are putting up personal items/info/etc up for everyone to see. I've been to other forums where you are required to register before accessing the board and required to make at least 1 post in the "Introduce yourself" area before allowed access. I imagine this at least allows tracking and assuring our comments and/or opinions aren't being mined by bots or whatnot.

I don't have any issue with the way the forum is now to be honest. Although I'm not sure what a "bot" is or what it does/can do?

I treat this place much like anything else I would do in public, and only post information I'm happy to share with everyone. I watermark my photos just in case but that's about it. I don't think you should be posting personal information which is likely to be misused, at a minimum if you need to exchange personal information do it in a PM.

I just brought this up because i noticed at any given time, there are more "Guests" lurking the forums than there are registered members. Who are these people? What are they doing? Are they going to join? Are they just leeching information?

I agree with you in the sense that i only post information i'm happy to share with everyone... on this community. A community is only as good as it's members and you build a relationship with the people who are here.

A lot of times the guests are people who have found us through a search engine because they were looking for an answer to a specific question. It is an interesting idea, I would love to hear other peoples opinions on this?

My main concern is the increased traffic. Will the server be able to handle it in the long run?

I'm on staff at a message board where the current member number is 57,392. We've had to go through a server upgrade last year and it was hell. We still allow non-members to view our threads but I'm pretty sure it contributed to immense lag times especially during large events.

The servers will be able to handle the traffic, there are always faster servers to be used. Usually the reason a site is slow is because it needs upgraded servers and the owners don't want to pay for it. Just saying.

If they take the time to register and get on board by sharing ideas, information, and help, it will then allow the forum to grow and expand in a good way. Lurkers, as we call them, sometimes like to read and get a feel for what we put up on threads, it also educates them as to their purchase for the future..... I am sure if they want to ask questions be it 1 or 100 they will register. We could also have a place to list good deals or sales that are going on in stores or online, (Ebay excluded) this will allow members only to share good finds and get to them before lurkers do. I have numerous sites I purchase Oakley's from...... Also, before new members can sell on any part of the forum they should have their account reviewed by Admin/Mods. I always post a good find if I come across one......Helps other members build their collection.......

If they take the time to register and get on board by sharing ideas, information, and help, it will then allow the forum to grow and expand in a good way. Lurkers, as we call them, sometimes like to read and get a feel for what we put up on threads, it also educates them as to their purchase for the future..... I am sure if they want to ask questions be it 1 or 100 they will register. We could also have a place to list good deals or sales that are going on in stores or online, (Ebay excluded) this will allow members only to share good finds and get to them before lurkers do. I have numerous sites I purchase Oakley's from...... Also, before new members can sell on any part of the forum they should have their account reviewed by Admin/Mods. I always post a good find if I come across one......Helps other members build their collection.......

I like the idea of a Member only area for deals going on...this will reward our members, and cause people to sign up!

Latest Posts

Back