• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Locking Down The Forum

I agree with Batwolf. Ther have been afew user logging on just to scalp their Frogs or Limited sunnies. Adding no value or knowledge to the forum..

A lot of times the guests are people who have found us through a search engine because they were looking for an answer to a specific question. It is an interesting idea, I would love to hear other peoples opinions on this?
Yeah we get a lot of traffic on our site because we are the first non-movie, non-imdb, and non official company site that pops up on a search. We are the first message board that gets listed on a google search. It definitely will help with exposure if you want more members to join.

The servers will be able to handle the traffic, there are always faster servers to be used. Usually the reason a site is slow is because it needs upgraded servers and the owners don't want to pay for it. Just saying.
We've upgraded our servers a number of times in the 11 years we've been up. It can get expensive so it comes down to how much the owners want to spend to upgrade the servers. This site shouldn't have too much problems with server lag with it still being relatively small. Whenever we get huge events that we have to cover for news our servers get slammed even with all the upgrades we've done.

If anything I think guests should NOT be able to view the exchange sections.
I definitely agree with this.

I think making the exchange sections private and making a minimum post count would be good because non-members won't be able to view the for sale sections and people won't create usernames just to look at the sections if there was a minimum post count set (maybe 25 non-spamming, actual posts).

There have been a couple people who joined just to PM me about helping them pick up Romeo 1 nose pieces. I did end up helping one and he was really cool about it, but he only made one post on the forums. Never heard from him again.

Another guy PM'ed me the same thing, but i never heard from him again after not being able to help. He has never posted in the forums. I don't mind helping contributing members, but this is another one of those things where random people lurk the boards and only post if they can benefit.

That's why i mentioned the word "community".

Ok, I am going to make the Exchange Area members only for now. We'll see how it goes. I think it is a good idea, and it is good to reward people who are members of the forum as opposed to lurkers.

I know u guys are trying to set yourselves apart from OR, but their membership handling is pretty good when it comes to locking down the forum to visitors.

Ok, I am going to make the Exchange Area members only for now. We'll see how it goes. I think it is a good idea, and it is good to reward people who are members of the forum as opposed to lurkers.

I have also noticed after they sign up within a few posts, they are offering stuff up for sale......LOL

Back