• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Locking Down The Forum

Even if they do go around posting +1 or "nice", we can see that. I do that with anyone who directly asks me a question or if someone is trying to sell something. I look at their post count, then i click on their forum name and click on "View forum posts". If 90% of the posts from that person are similar to the above mentioned, then it's a clear sign that they're not contributing and just looking to sell. To be honest, i think we should lock down the forum suggestions too. No point in opening this up to unregistered guests when they're not going to contribute to making this forum better. Not to mention them not seeing what we're planning here.

EDIT: WOOT! Post #888! Lucky #888 since i'm Chinese :)

I'm confused as to what people want or expect. And there's a very negative stance against having a welcoming community.

Why do people automatically expect newbies to be selling fakes? One of my very first posts here was to let everyone know I had something to sell. Was I selling fakes? No.

If you have a trust issue with buying from someone you don't know then I don't see how making them post a certain amount will protect against that. To protect yourself against buying fakes be very clear about what it is the seller has for sale, see pictures of the exact item for sale, and use PayPal. Their number of posts means nothing, you can still get scammed.

If you say they have to have a certain number of posts that have to be more than 'Nice' or whatever, you're also basically saying someone has to prove their worth to you and who is to say what is and isn't a worthy post? What someone thinks is a valueable post/worthy post could be worthless to me. Who determines what is a valid contribution and what isn't?

Some of the most amazing and unexpected things happen when people have the freedom to do what they want. Think about open source networks etc. If you impose too many rules and close things off too much then all you are doing is limiting yourself and your possibilities, and I for one wouldn't want to join somewhere that had restrictive rules.

That's why I hate golf.

jk-27 is right - you can be f%$"ed be somebody with 1234 post in the same way like form a newbie with 0 post!?!

I wouldn't mind some privacy on here... Alot of people do post photos of themselves,or their C-Six's with their C6 :mad:!
Or just talk about their personal life/ put out personal information...because there are members on the forum they trust
or would like to share that information with... Because they've been members for along time or they're friends.
Facebook for example...or any other social networking site for that matter... has the "friends" thing going on.
Which is a rather good idea i think. You're putting out information that you would probably only like to share with
a few selected others... and that's good to know it works that way.

I'm just saying... i'm for some sort of privacy movement on the site! Maybe not lock the world out, but maybe to a certain degree.

you wanna open some kind of groups/clubs in the community?!?

sound more like the OR. . .

i´m probably IN with all my posts :eek:)

Facebook for example...or any other social networking site for that matter... has the "friends" thing going on.
Which is a rather good idea i think. You're putting out information that you would probably only like to share with
a few selected others... and that's good to know it works that way.

I couldn't disagree more. This place started as a public forum, and everyone knows this is an open forum so if they are posting personal stuff and photos they do so knowing that it will be in the public domain. If they don't want it in the public domain, don't post it on a public forum. Just because people have started to use it more like a private forum doesn't mean the whole site should change to fit them.

I'm just saying... i'm for some sort of privacy movement on the site! Maybe not lock the world out, but maybe to a certain degree.

I don't know the member or guest numbers but I feel like this community is growing, and I can only say that is a good thing, and it's likely because of the openess and welcome that this forum provides. Why suddenly lock it down? You joined this site without such limitations, I joined this site without such limitations. Why deny anyone the same privileges we enjoyed when joining? Why are we better then them?

I don't know where this anti-trust feeling came from. I look at the exchange sections and I don't see them being flooded with scalpers trying to sell stuff, so why change as if it is? Why change for the behaviour of the few at the expense of the many. It makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

I agree with what Johnny Hundreds says. Also the collections area would be good to be open to members only with a certain post count.

And what if the post count was 50 posts? That would mean you'll be locked out. Do you think you deserve to be locked out? And if this did happen, would you then start randomly posting to make the 50 posts? Splice's point is that post also have to be noteworthy/have some contribution.

It's a nonsensical argument to say certain post counts mean you won't scam someone or are worthy of seeing everything. The number of posts has no relation to someones "worthiness". It's as if people want to start a class system on here.

Well, I run a forum myself too. For the sales area we have the post count limit and the moderators keep an eye on new members to see if they are not posting useless posts just to make their post count raise.

If you have a limit then most of the time you can filter the people with real good intentions and passion for the stuff the forum is about from the people that are not really fanatic and don't really care. Also for scammers it makes it more difficult to access the trades area, and most of the times they think it is to much work to get there.

If I can not access it, it is OK with me. But I wouldn't start making useless posts, I just have to have more posts with good contents to prove that I am a real fanatic.

At my forum the post limit is 25 btw ;-) (Tamiyagekken.nl)

Latest Posts

Back