• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Loose hinges on Frogskins

carrielsal

Oakley Beginner
Austin, TX
Can loose hinges be a problem on some frogskins? Last week I found a pair of Octane yellow frogskins with fire iridium lenses at Norstrom Rack at a really low price. BUT, then hinges were really loose. The hinges on my frogskins have never come loose like this pair. I didn't want to mess with taking them back if there was a problem, but now I'm kind of wishing I took a chance.

Since O-Matter is a Thermoplastic you can use heat (hair dryer) to your advantage in terms of tightening up a pair, why? because heat will soften the plastic make it more forgiving and allow your to make adjustments in shape/contour. I always remove the lenses before doing any of the following...

1st line of attack, hit it with a hair dryer for a minute or two in a sweeping motion, don't just point and shoot hot air in one spot. Then I use some 2" spring clamps on the hinge and leave it over night.
If that doesn't do it, or you notice the physical wings of the arm are skewed or just don't sit even on the hinge pins then you'll need to remove the arms to reshape the wings.

2nd line of attack, remove the arms (use a little heat if it's being stubborn). Then you use a pair of calipers to measure the face frame hinge stub width and you'll want to heat the wings on the arm to then compress towards each other with a micro meter till you're in spec with the measurement. The alternative method if you don't have a calipers/micro meter is to just use a spring clamp or pair of pliers but with the ends wrapped in masking tape to prevent any gouges to the plastic - don't use brute force, if it's hard to move them just hit it with heat.

Since O-Matter is a Thermoplastic you can use heat (hair dryer) to your advantage in terms of tightening up a pair, why? because heat will soften the plastic make it more forgiving and allow your to make adjustments in shape/contour. I always remove the lenses before doing any of the following...

1st line of attack, hit it with a hair dryer for a minute or two in a sweeping motion, don't just point and shoot hot air in one spot. Then I use some 2" spring clamps on the hinge and leave it over night.
If that doesn't do it, or you notice the physical wings of the arm are skewed or just don't sit even on the hinge pins then you'll need to remove the arms to reshape the wings.

2nd line of attack, remove the arms (use a little heat if it's being stubborn). Then you use a pair of calipers to measure the face frame hinge stub width and you'll want to heat the wings on the arm to then compress towards each other with a micro meter till you're in spec with the measurement. The alternative method if you don't have a calipers/micro meter is to just use a spring clamp or pair of pliers but with the ends wrapped in masking tape to prevent any gouges to the plastic - don't use brute force, if it's hard to move them just hit it with heat.

…...NOT just a pretty face!...…….

They fit my face fine, but the hinges on the arm were extremely loose. Some of the hinges on my cheap drugstore sunglasses eventually get loose like that, and tightening the screw doesn't help. I've never had that problem with any of my frogskins, so I'm wondering if that would be indicative of a problem with the hinges.

…...NOT just a pretty face!...…….
They fit my face fine, but the hinges on the arm were extremely loose. Some of the hinges on my cheap drugstore sunglasses eventually get loose like that, and tightening the screw doesn't help. I've never had that problem with any of my frogskins, so I'm wondering if that would be indicative of a problem with the hinges.

Photos?

I've found the translucent/polished style frogskins to have their hinges become loose more easily, I believe it's due to the material finish being smoother = less friction/resistance of those of a matte finish.

Latest Posts

Back