• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lost my 11 Year old X-metal. Need another pair help

krava

Oakley Beginner
About 2 weeks ago, I went to the bowling alley and left my sunglasses on the counter behind my uncle while he was sitting down watching. I am not sure what happend to my sunglasses. Either someone stole them or I left them behind by accident. These had no scratches, no nothing and fire iridium mirrored lens.

I have severe eye problems. I have had a detached retina on my left eye, then the operation gave me a cataract then I had to get the lens removed and then I have scar tissue there. In my right eye, I have had a partial detached retina and had to have the top and bottom done with a laser. About a month ago, I didn't put my sunglasses on and I went outside about 10 feet to the car. I got into the car and then shut my eyes and I saw a big black splotch. I opened my eyes and say a whole lot of black lines and 1000's of dots. A long story short, that was a drop of blood from my optic nerve having a small hemorrhage. In this past month I now have a posterior detached vitreous that is giving me problems seeing. So I need the best pair of sunglasses on the earth bascially because I am so allergic to light.

I got on ebay and was being a cheap ass and bought a pair of new oakley badman ferrari sunglasses from a dealer that never sold but been on ebay for 3 years. He was selling 5 pair at $122 each free shipping. My eyes hurt going outside with those. I think they are fake because they weigh 1.0 oz compared to the 1.4 of the real ones.

Now I am forced to buy some x-metal ones again and have to go through ebay. I was wondering if I should buy new from there or used. Even if I buy new, the sunglasses can be 10-11 years old. I have heard from 1 seller that the lens can start to peel after 10-11 years. (mine didn't). But if I buy new I don't want them peeling. ANother option is that there is a seller, selling the ones I have that has the receipt, and he just got new lens put in along with all new rubber parts about 2 months ago. Oakley doesn't make anything this good any more so I don't know what to do.

I was wondering should I buy new or is used fine? I appreciate any comments..

The only thing badmans share with real x-metals is the marketing name. Real x-metals were discontinued in 2012, so there are no "new" pairs, just some in mint condition.

But if you're gonna wear them, buying used is best. You can access the forum exchange by either staying here two weeks and making at least 15 posts or by buying a premium membership for immediate access. Once there you can find a pair like the one you lost for a much better deal than ebay, with confidence they're authentic.

ebay can be a scary place, as you found out. Deals can be found but you have to do a lot of research to ensure your hard earned $$$ isn't going toward a pair of inferior fakes.

@kronin323 advice is the best way to ensure you are getting what you paid for. Once you have access to the exchange forum you can also look up a sellers rating, who they've sold to, and how many transactions they done on the exchange site. This will help you make a confident and informed decision

Since joining the forum back in February I've seen many people selling xmetals in the exchange forum. Some are all OEM including lenses, some have aftermarket or custom lenses. Most of the sales will tell you if the lenses are OEM, custom, or aftermarket.

Best of luck and welcome to the forums

ebay can be a scary place, as you found out. Deals can be found but you have to do a lot of research to ensure your hard earned $$$ isn't going toward a pair of inferior fakes.

@kronin323 advice is the best way to ensure you are getting what you paid for. Once you have access to the exchange forum you can also look up a sellers rating, who they've sold to, and how many transactions they done on the exchange site. This will help you make a confident and informed decision

Since joining the forum back in February I've seen many people selling xmetals in the exchange forum. Some are all OEM including lenses, some have aftermarket or custom lenses. Most of the sales will tell you if the lenses are OEM, custom, or aftermarket.

Best of luck and welcome to the forums
That's flawed thinking I would talk to people about sellers. Honestly some have good ratings that aren't justified. Only due to newer people Afraid to leave feedback do to backlash .. This a rarity but it happens

That's flawed thinking I would talk to people about sellers. Honestly some have good ratings that aren't justified. Only due to newer people Afraid to leave feedback do to backlash .. This a rarity but it happens
True story! Also a LOT of people never leave feedback so you don't realize how many good sellers there are.

Uhm......with the eye issues you got, i would say forget about both Oakley and ebay right now, and go visit an ophthalmologist and/or an optometrist , and ask him what kind of sunglasses/lenses would be best for you right now.

What you guys think, is that not the best option ?

I'm curious, for my own personal growth and understanding, what part of my comments did you believe to be flawed?

....the part about how scary ebay can be but if you do your homework you can find trustworthy sellers, or....

....the advice @kronin323 gave

I'm curious, for my own personal growth and understanding, what part of my comments did you believe to be flawed?

....the part about how scary ebay can be but if you do your homework you can find trustworthy sellers, or....

....the advice @kronin323 gave
I am saying be careful just Because a seller had sold on eBay before or on the forum, it doesn't mean it's automatically good. I want to stress are a lot of great sellers here just a few bad Apples

Last edited:
Back