• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Low prices on ebay

rustypixel

Oakley Beginner
I don't know of this is the right forum for this but I just thought I'd pose the question here and you guys are the experts. I'm looking at getting a pair of Gauge 8s and a friend of mine suggested I check ebay. I usually buy my glasses from either Oakley directly or through SunglassHut so I've never even looked at ebay for glasses. My questions are:
How authentic are the glasses that some sellers are selling as "authentic" but without box, bag or papers?
And, where do they get these "authentic" glasses if they are, in fact, authentic?
I'm still not comfortable making my sunglass purchase on the bay but curiosity about these sales has been piqued. Thanks for any and all replies.

eBay is an open market, just because there’s no box or bag doesn’t make them not lagit, there’s a thread to help you look at glasses to tell if they are lagit, there are a few fakes, but then there are a lot of genuine glasses. You have to do your homework to make sure, but in all it’s a pretty safe place to do business

I guess my issues are that (A) I have a genuine distrust for anything that can be counterfeited and (B) I definitely don't know enough to spot counterfeits and (C) the prices are in the "too good to be true" category. I will look for this thread you mention but would appreciate a link, if you can. I'll definitely be interested in reading it and gaining some education in the process.
Thanks for your reply.

eBay is an open market, just because there’s no box or bag doesn’t make them not lagit, there’s a thread to help you look at glasses to tell if they are lagit, there are a few fakes, but then there are a lot of genuine glasses. You have to do your homework to make sure, but in all it’s a pretty safe place to do business

Official Fakes/Possible Fakes Inquiry Thread (ARE THESE FAKE? POST FAKES HERE)
I guess my issues are that (A) I have a genuine distrust for anything that can be counterfeited and (B) I definitely don't know enough to spot counterfeits and (C) the prices are in the "too good to be true" category. I will look for this thread you mention but would appreciate a link, if you can. I'll definitely be interested in reading it and gaining some education in the process.
Thanks for your reply.

Check the sellers feedback especially any negative ones that mention fakes. Many people who work for Oakley shops have big discounts on stuff so they can sell at a steep discount without any problems to their bottom line profits.

Thanks for the reply and info. I've read a lot of the thread I was linked to and it seems there is a lot of hit or miss when buying from the bay. I want to give ebay a try for the Gauge 8s that I'm looking to get and I still think there is a lot to learn but I also think a lot of it is taking a bit of a leap hoping that I'll get something authentic. Some of the sellers state a restocking fee if the item is returned but I think I can circumvent that if I reach out to them through ebay and ask them straight out if the item is 100% genuine and authentic and have his/her response on record. I can then have the glasses authenticated at an Oakley store and if there's a need to return the item I can state that the seller was less than accurate with their description in order to get a full refund with no restocking fee.

Check the sellers feedback especially any negative ones that mention fakes. Many people who work for Oakley shops have big discounts on stuff so they can sell at a steep discount without any problems to their bottom line profits.

Just go with a trusted ebay seller. There are plenty of good sellers on the bay.

The fakes stand out like a sore thumb. Fake lenses are harder to spot in legit pairs.

I have a no warning rule on feedback.

If someone gives a bad description - they get Negative feed back straight away. No warnings, no messages.

There’s a pair of XX marked as Romeo on EBay right now. I emailed the seller and was told they can’t change the title. They did add the info in the description. But I can see someone bidding for a chance at a pair of R1s at the $400 price point...

Back