• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lower ANSI Standards For Certain Pairs

And this isn't the lens as much as the frame. The impact tests are there to ensure nothing (including the lens) impacts the eye. A frame that allows the lens to come free under impact is much more dangerous and less protective than one that will hold the lens in place and not allow it to reach the eye.

Yeah I agree with you. I don't like any of Oakley's lifestyle stuff.

Yeah I agree with you. I don't like any of Oakley's lifestyle stuff.

What the hell does your preference for Oakley Lifestyle frames have to do with this conversation?

Many of them carry Z87 ratings. The initial post was targeting CHINESE frames used for wire and women's pairs.

Gascans and Holbrooks meet Z87 standards, for instance.

What the hell does your preference for Oakley Lifestyle frames have to do with this conversation?

Many of them carry Z87 ratings. The initial post was targeting CHINESE frames used for wire and women's pairs.

Gascans and Holbrooks meet Z87 standards, for instance.

Wow dude you have a bad attitude, chill out. They're just sunglasses.

The old Oakley doesn't settle for "still impressive." It should be Z87.1 or keep working. Moreover, I paid full Oakley price for a pair of glasses that are not full Oakley (USA, Z87.1). Not cool.

...this just about sums up my feelings as well. This wouldn't have been acceptable at the old Oakley, and it shouldn't be now.

Don't insult our [collective] intelligence and you won't hear anything negative from me. Ask around, I'm a nice guy.

Until you make comments like
And unless you're in a battle zone or something it's not going to be an issue.

I work in a shop that does 5000psi testing, as well as numerous other dangerous operations. We have occasional explosions. I'm not in a battle zone, but eyewear ratings are a SERIOUS issue.

Great discussion thus far, never knew abt the crosshairs being made in china etc. but just kept the comments in check yeah guys? =) been very informative for sure!

This guy must be new...

On Oakley's website, they have, under Innovation>Optical Superiority>Impact Protection, a description of ANSI tests with the spike from 5 ft and the projectile. They say that Oakley "premium eyewear" meets these standards. Are not all Oakleys considered premium eyewear?

Furthermore, I'm using the following Google Search to find pairs that do not meet Z87.1 standards for impact protection and optical performance, i.e. standardized to Z80.3 in some regard:

Z80.3 site:www.oakley.com

As Rustpot mentioned, Gascans meet Z87.1 for impact and optical performance. I'm seeing a lot of C-5 pairs that are Z80.3, and some O-matter pairs that are Z80.3 for optics and Z87 for impact, or vice versa.

I'm with Rustpot, I wear M-frames for work, which exceed Z87.1 for optics and impact. I know my eyes are safe behind those lenses, and I expect that same assurance wherever I am, whatever pair I'm wearing.

Did you notice that the new Pit Boss II only has "Optical precision and impact resistance meet or exceed Z80.3 optical and basic impact standards".

The original Pit Boss was ANSI Z87.1.

Back