• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Luxxotica merging with Essilor

Like having a company worth 27 billion wasnt that already? (With all the brands they already had). They had to have one worth 50 billion. Whats next? Are they going to buy my eyeballs?o_O

Putting the expense on the world market, instead of letting the world market do that to us is fine by me. We are essentially doing what china does.
Except China can and will produce at 10% of American cost.. so if there are any added tarifs and fees... they're moot.

American production is costly (because cost of living and all that) so any added tarif, tax, fees and including any exchange rate can make once affordable American made products unaffordable thus pushing people to purchase from other cheaper sources (Korean cars, China made this or that, South American fruit and vegetables etc...)

I agree with Snoop that those two companies operated fine the way that they were. Both were already monopolies as far as I'm concerned. If these were us companies we would not allow them to merge. This does not support free trade. This drives the cost up for everyone. At the expense of American jobs, American employees, and small business. Nothing good comes from this other than shareholders of luxottica cashing in.

If these were us companies we would not allow them to merge. This does not support free trade.
Not necessarily. The deal is still subject to regulatory approval, by the European Commission and monopoly and mergers commissions in both France and Italy.

The US commission approved a merger between GE and Honeywell, which was blocked by the EU as anti-competitive. So can't really make the call that one legislator would ban this.

Just huge news!! Absolutely crazy - waiting to see what happens from here.
The merger will be huge news if it actually happens.
The two companies don't seem to be in a big hurry to complete the merger -- their press releases say that they expect the deal to close "by the end of the year", which leaves plenty of time for the principals to change their minds, for government regulators to get involved, for economic conditions to change, etc., so I would not be surprised to read news of further twists and turns before this story runs its course.

I've never heard of this company until recently... I saw a commercial by the company for the first time on my TV. Gotta get that name out there

Sent from Q's Note5

Expands the monopoly more. Essilor has always been known more for it's R&D than anything (it's most well known product is Varilux) but they've been gobbling up some other stuff of late too (Vision Source etc). The irony of all this from an Oakley perspective? One of the people that makes out and gets richer because of this and the inevitable stock price bump is he who has been unusually vocal of late about the direction of Luxley- JJ. I agree with our good friend Chris A. Hardaway however- nothing good comes of this for consumers etc. NOTHING. I mean, if I want to wake the sleeping giant that is my left leaning, conspiracy theorizing younger man self? One big conglomerate owns all the optics etc., drives up prices, we can't afford contacts, etc to correct our vision, makes lenses etc that distort reality, brainwash you blah blah blah. Stuff of Hollywood sci fi etc.

This "merger" is like the Luxottica buyout of Oakley was called a merger. Essilor pretty much is buying out Lux. I am just curious what the purchase price of non-Delfin shares will be.

Upon further reading I see the remaining 38% of Luxottica stock will be offered the same trade ratio for Essilor stock that Delfin got.

Last edited:
This "merger" is like the Luxottica buyout of Oakley was called a merger. Essilor pretty much is buying out Lux. [...]
Based on the information published in the financial press, the proposed deal looks like a merger to me: Essilor and Luxottica have roughly the same market capitalization (Luxottica's value is a bit higher), and it's Luxottica's founder who is slated to become the chairman, CEO, and largest single shareholder of the combined entity.

Latest Posts

Back