• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M Frame Alpha Review and Comparison

fusionvic

Oakley Beginner
SE MI, USA
I've been using M Frames for years, mainly for running and cycling as they provide a lot of peripheral vision. I have a Radar EV Path which is great, but I was looking for something with even more venting and possibly something without earsocks because they get absolutely disgusting and soft with years of sweat/oil buildup. My current pair of Flak Jackets were purchased in 2008 and these original earsocks started to actually smell about a few years ago (even after boiling, disinfecting, etc...) and ended up buying a replacement kit. But as I have found out with my XX Twenty, the earsocks eventually are harder to find if not impossible.

I will say that the best M Frame lens IMHO is the Hybrid S. The smaller cut is perfect for ventilation and doesn't get in the way. I found M Frame 1.0 to 3.0 had a very aggressive angle of the lens, meaning the Hybrid and more so the Agro digs into my cheeks. This wouldn't be a problem for those with high nose bridges, but the Hybrid S was the best for me (Hybrid isn't too bad but still slides down enough to collect sweat on my cheeks). But there's only 1 choice with the Alpha and isn't the Hybrid S.

The M Frame Alpha pushes the lens out further, so there is a lot of clearance between the bottom of the lens and my cheeks. Coupled with the huge venting design on top of the lens, there is quite a bit of airflow. But photos don't do this justice. I did a run with the Alpha and could feel much more air flow than the Radar EV Path and even the vented Hybrid lens for the M Frame 3.0 but the cool part about the Alpha is that it has much better visibility than even the Radar EV Path but better venting than the vented Hybrid lens without having the vents in your view. In the attack position on my bike, nothing was blocking my view. That extra taller part of the lens above the nose bridge on the Alpha makes for a very clear view.

The nose pad/bomb is very stiff like Rustpot had mentioned. It's much harder than the M Frame 3.0 pads which weren't too bad. It felt like the Alpha was sliding down my nose a bit when there was more sweat but then again my nose bridge is different from others, I just found it was great the Alpha works with a bunch of different faces, much more so than their other M Frames. They could have put more texturing on the nosepad and maybe angled the surface down a bit more.

Here are the things I didn't really like:
I don't like how they designed the lens changing system. The left ear stem is connected to the hinge with a very thin single-beam arm. The fixed ear stem has a much beefier setup. I also didn't like how they used a metal pin for the hinges. This isn't a Wiley X or a Home Despot pair of safety glasses.

The Alpha is also the heaviest M Frame. Here are the measurements I've collected over the years for my M Frames:

M Frame (1.0) Hybrid S: 24 grams
M Frame 3.0 Hybrid: 27 grams
M Frame 3.0 Agro: 30 grams
M Frame 2.0 Hybrid: 31 grams
M Frame Alpha: 33 grams
Radar EV Path: 28 grams (just as a comparison)

From my experience, anything at or under 25 grams is ideal for long durations. But I've been wearing my Det Cords (37 grams) and I've been getting used to the extra weight. I've run numerous races with both the M Frame 1.0 and Radar EV Path and never noticed either causing significant discomfort.

Because the lens is much larger, the Alpha isn't exactly very stylish but I needed something with ballistic protection (MIL-PRF-32432 and Z87+), adequate ventilation, and no earsocks/thin earstems.

I've been using the M Frame Alpha's for running outside in the summer heat, and they've performed exceptionally well. It always feels like they are sliding down my nose, but they're not. I think it is from the lack of earsocks that gives that sensation. I wore them for a 18.5 mile bike ride today, and I always wear my Giro Synthe helmet since it is fairly aero and vents well in the heat/direct sun. The Alpha earstems hit the helmet support just like the Radar EV but the lack of earsocks makes the Alphas feel like they are loose/sliding on the plastic helmet supports, but again the nose pad keeps the Alpha in place.

The venting is phenomenal. I find it to be on par or better than the Radar EV and the way the lens is angled and how far away it is from my face allows sweat to drop out, and air to move around. The M Frame 3.0 Hybrid Vented may vent very well, but the holes are in my vision and the lens angle is so aggressive on my cheeks that it actually holds sweat in place. The Alpha fixes all of those problems, and the view in full attack mode is unobstructed.

Since I was all sweaty and my heart/body fully warmed up after that ride, I went for a 3.5 mile run right after I hopped off the bike. I kept the M Frame Alphas on and observed venting and how much they gripped my face. I didn't feel the weight of the Alphas on my nose bridge, and they vented just as well as before on the bike. It has great vision coverage and doesn't block any of my view. I never understood the fascination with the weird Jawbreaker and other bike-specific Oakleys, because the Jawbreaker felt like a pair of flimsy dollar store sunglasses (at the Oakley emblems and earstem joints) but at a $200+ price tag. I have no real complaints about my Radar EV Paths other than they don't vent as well and they're neither Z87+ nor MIL-PRF-32432 certified (same as the Jawbreaker and other Oakley Jackets).

It's got me wondering about getting the Alpha Strong box now for the goggles and other lenses. I use ski goggles when running in the winter time because they block most of my eyes/face from the -20F windchill while a thermal insulated balaclava covers the rest of my head and face. The Alpha goggles might work well too, but then again so do my cheap ski goggles.

From my perspective, the only drawbacks to the M Frame Alpha are"
-The weak-looking left ear stem (single-post hinge as part of the lens changing system), it feels like I can snap it in half.
-33 grams of weight - although after wearing my Det Cords (37 grams) on a daily basis, the 33 grams no longer feels heavy. But it could shed a few grams - maybe a Hybrid S lens cut instead of the Hybrid
-Nose pad needs some texturing for better grip or at least better perceived grip

Some will complain about the boring monochrome O-emblems on the ear stems or the lack of different lens tints, but after having almost every Oakley tint/iridium tint/polarized lens, I will stick with the boring gray because it does everything fairly well with the least amount of maintenance. They hide scratches well too. Only time I had problem with the gray lens was on a pair of ESS Crossbows from an APEL issued kit. The anti-fog started to fog up the lens (won't clean up, looks permanently smeared) and no longer provided anti-fogging, so they'd fog up in 90F summer heat at the firing range (where there was minimal air flow). This is why I am so into vented lens designs because no matter where you are, some venting can be beneficial.

I bought the Terrain Tan M Frame Alphas as a second pair. Rustpot's pictures don't do this tan any justice. It is more of a coyote brown than the "bone" tan used on the M Frame 3.0
I was afraid the Terrain Tan would be too light, almost like a whitish color that I hate wearing on sunglasses. Instead it is like a medium to dark brown/coyote brown.

It did come up in a search and was looking to see what these were about as I saw them at a 3-gun match a couple weekends back now. Wicked pricey for me at the moment, but with a couple pairs of lenses I could see these being one hell of a beater pair of shades for me, thanks for the work-up @fusionvic!

Back