• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M Frames Vs Radars

music_man185

Oakley Beginner
i am looking for a pair of safety glasses/sunglasses to wear at work. i work in construction, so i'm outside a lot and need a good pair of sunglasses to shield my eyes from the sun. but i also need a good pair of safety glasses with good coverage and a tight wrap around fit. when cutting, you get a lot of debris coming at your face that will make its way around a normal pair of sunglasses. i can't tell you the amount of times i've been wearing normal sized sunglasses and sawdust find its way into my eye. VERY IRRITATING. anyway, the m frames and radars seem like they would be perfect. i'm just having a hard time deciding which one.

based on the pictures i've seen of both, it seems like m frames more closely resemble half jackets with their narrow, almost sideways stems and radars resemble flak jackets with their thicker, flatter stems. would i be correct in assuming this? i have a small face, so they will all probably offer enough coverage. i have a pair of half jackets that fit me perfect. out of the m frames, i like the strike lens and the hybrid/hybrid s lens. with the radars, i like the path and pitch. what do you guys recommend?

I don't know much about the M-frames, however I have tried them on at an O-store. They fit me fairly well and I have a average head size. The coverage was nice too. The radars fit me about the same, but I like the look of the radar over the m-frame. The lens shap is a personal preference as some give more coverage than other. Hope that helps!

to me it comes down to looks and the radars look better than the m-frames on my face but i really say is go with what is more comfotable on you

Either one is a great choice, it really depends on fit, as both will funtion great as safety/sunglasses. There is a M-Frame that is ANSI Z87.1 certified for safety glasses, if your job requires them. They are in the Industrial Grade section of the Oakley website. You can't really go wrong. The Strike lens in the M-Frame is perfect, if you go that route, and Path or Pitch is will work well on the Radar. I always felt the M-Frame fit on the smaller side and the Radars were a bit larger.

agreed with Retina, but all oakley lenses are ANSI Z87.1 certified. so you can get any of them in any different style. the difference is that the ones in the industrial have that etched in to the lens for proof if you need it. on fit, its really up to you. they both fit similar. i have both M-Frames and Radars and love them both. if you are worried about coverage i would look at maybe the heater lens and the range, those are the biggest one and will give you the most coverage. head to an ostore and check them out yourself see what fits best!

oakleyguy7 said:
agreed with Retina, but all oakley lenses are ANSI Z87.1 certified. so you can get any of them in any different style. the difference is that the ones in the industrial have that etched in to the lens for proof if you need it. on fit, its really up to you. they both fit similar. i have both M-Frames and Radars and love them both. if you are worried about coverage i would look at maybe the heater lens and the range, those are the biggest one and will give you the most coverage. head to an ostore and check them out yourself see what fits best!

thank you all for your replies. i dont need proof of the lenses being certified. so the industrial etching isn't an issue. my face is pretty small, so i dont think i need the biggest lenses available. i think the smaller lenses will still give me the coverage i need. after all, i still want to look decent wearing them. :D lol. i would like to be able to try them all on, but the closest sunglass hut is about 3 hours away round trip. and the nearest oakley vault is about 4 hours away round trip and i dont get out that way much.

if indeed the m frames are like half jackets and radars are like flak jackets, i think i would be better to go with m frames since my half jackets fit me perfect. i was under the impression that flak jackets had a slightly larger fit over the half jackets. i watched a video review of some radars, and they seemed to stick out off the head in front to allow for more ventilation. this would be an issue for me since i need them to fit tight to not allow any debris to get through.

ya then def go with the M-Frames. they will fit you really good then and you shouldnt have much of a problem. personally i like the hybrid cut. its similar to the strike but it curves a little more. if you want a pic i can post one up for you.

a picture would be very helpful.

the great thing about the m frames is i have a friend enrolled in the oakley SI program. and can get some SI m frames pretty cheap. i dont think they have any SI radars. i could also get the m frame 2.0

nice that will make things better. you wont get to pick as much stuff but still a good deal.

here is my set up for them. fire with metallic blue frame white earsocks

Last edited by a moderator:
those look slick! i would really like to have a fire or ice lens in them. but if go with SI, i'll have to roll with black or grey. how does the fit of regular m frames compare to the 2.0 ballistics?

Back