• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M Frames- what's what??

LBlack14

I should Work at Oakley
Mason, Ohio
Can someone please explain/show me how to identify what generation is what? I love my M Frames, but only a certain style. Can't stand the Pros as they look cheap to me with that (molded?) icon and who wants glasses that don't fold? Anyway, bought my 1st pair of Ms in 1994 or 5, iirc. Heaters are my favorite, but will also wear Strikes. I have a couple pair of Sweep lenses in great shape, but they're too small for my liking. Anybody up for a trade of lenses? I just want to be able to tell what's what.

Sorry if my ramble has went too far and thanks in advance.

PS- I like the M2 as well.

I have a pair that look just like that, Strike lenses and all, but no clue what they are, exactly. I think they were sold to me (here) as "SI"/ Standard Issue. No SKU#, but there is a "Z87" and "UL" stamp on them. I put a pair of black heaters in them.

Here’s a little cheat sheet. Shows the different frame models for the m frames from gen 1 to the “new”

Based on when you got them you could have gen 2

Send me some pics of the lenses tou have. I have tons of heaters and need some smaller shapes!

Here’s a little cheat sheet. Shows the different frame models for the m frames from gen 1 to the “new”

Based on when you got them you could have gen 2

Send me some pics of the lenses tou have. I have tons of heaters and need some smaller shapes!

I may have over sold my Sweeps. I should have said good shape for their age. I got them from a friend who wore them daily, but took care of them. There's nothing that I notice in my line of vision or I couldn't wear them. There's the typical in and out marks and marks from the nose pieces. Here are some pics. I don't want to mislead anyone.

KIMG1834.JPG
KIMG1831.JPG
KIMG1830.JPG
KIMG1833.JPG
KIMG1835.JPG
KIMG1836.JPG

That link was a HUGE HELP!! Thank you.

Evidently, I have all "New" M Frames, a pair of Ballistic 2.0 and M2. It also answered a question I posted a few weeks ago. The "New" lenses can also fit into the M2, albeit loose.

Thanks a bunch!!

I may have over sold my Sweeps. I should have said good shape for their age. I got them from a friend who wore them daily, but took care of them. There's nothing that I notice in my line of vision or I couldn't wear them. There's the typical in and out marks and marks from the nose pieces. Here are some pics. I don't want to mislead anyone.

View attachment 880478View attachment 880479View attachment 880484View attachment 880485View attachment 880486View attachment 880487

Those are Gen2 lenses.

Gen 1 &2 share lenses
Gen 3 aka pro m
Gen 4 would be the new m frame

Gen 3/4 would be able to go into the m2 but some fit wi th a wiggle, some fit perfect it’s crazy

Also PM me I want that fire sweep lol

Ps: they really aren’t named gen 3-4

Last edited:
Gen 1- factory pilot with hammer stems ( thin frames
Gen 2- Ellipse with hammer arms (thin frames
Pro m frame- arms stuck opened, locked hinge, molded logo
New m frame- similar shape to the pro, ellipse logos, regular hinges

Lenses from pro and new m frames can interchanges and sometimes be used on an m2

First and second are more narrow lenses so they usually fall out of the m2, but sometimes they fit the new m frame with a wiggle .

Hope that cleared up anything

Back