• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

M Frames- what's what??

So when I first saw it at my buddy’s house, I had to do a double-take. I am a M Frame guy when it comes to sports, and I also have the ballistic 2.0…. this thing was some hodgepodge of the 2. It really is ballistic 1.0

Here it is

08689219-7CB4-4808-BE40-3FE69E44692D.jpeg

Can't stand the Pros as they look cheap to me with that (molded?) icon and who wants glasses that don't fold?
Well, baseball / softball players for one. The hinges on any folding pair will wear out. Ball players will put their shades on top of their hats to temporarily get them out of the way in certain situations. When you do that, the hinges will hyper extend and over time will prematurely wear out. The Pro Ms don’t have hinges so they basically never wear out as far as I can tell. I have no idea how old the one I use is, but it is still tight on my head. The trade off is that because they don’t fold the case has to be quite a bit bigger and some may just find the pro m a bit clumsy.

So when I first saw it at my buddy’s house, I had to do a double-take. I am a M Frame guy when it comes to sports, and I also have the ballistic 2.0…. this thing was some hodgepodge of the 2. It really is ballistic 1.0

I could try to post pics, but it is 100% identical.

Thanks for the pics sir! Not questioning you at all, just curious if the markings are the same! Here’s some pics I took of mine:

Post in thread 'Need Help Identifying What Model Oakley Sunglasses Thread'
Need Help Identifying What Model Oakley Sunglasses Thread

Well, baseball / softball players for one. The hinges on any folding pair will wear out. Ball players will put their shades on top of their hats to temporarily get them out of the way in certain situations. When you do that, the hinges will hyper extend and over time will prematurely wear out.
Former highschool and college baseball player, played softball for 20+ years, 150-200 games a year, never had a pair wear out, just saying.

You my friend are fortunate. These hinges are mechanical devices that operate on the friction between interlocking (relatively soft) plastic pieces surrounding an imbedded metal pin. Mechanical friction = wear. My first set of M frames I used every day for every thing: on duty, at the range, driving in the car, softball league ) … they wore out in 2 years so much that the stems sagged and were scratching the inside of the lens. Admittedly I was not taking as good of care of them as I would later frames as I adopted the “on face or in the case” practice. That extended the life of all of my Oakleys.

I wonder if they discontinued the Pro M because they never wore out…..

Latest Posts

Back