• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mac Mini and 'stream' gaming question?

WilliamG

Oakley Enthusiast
I'm unsure if you can help me with this particular question but here goes?

I have a UK model Mac Mini 2.6GHz Processor, Intel Iris Graphics. I like city building games such as Cities Skyline and I thought everything was going well with the game on the Mac Mini, ect until I went on Stream and downloaded Skylines on my Macbook Pro (2015) and it ran very smoothly on it unlike my Mac Mini which is very sluggish. After an unfortunate accident with the Macbook Pro and a can of beer leaking on it while in my man bag and completely ruining it I can't go back to playing it on the Mac Mini because it's not the same.

My question is if one was to upgrade the Mac Mini to the top level Mac Mini would the game run better?
2.8GHz Processor but it's the same graphic card Intel Iris Graphics. Should I buy another Macbook or upgraded Mac Mini? Would it run?

Mac mini

I'm unsure if you can help me with this particular question but here goes?

I have a UK model Mac Mini 2.6GHz Processor, Intel Iris Graphics. I like city building games such as Cities Skyline and I thought everything was going well with the game on the Mac Mini, ect until I went on Stream and downloaded Skylines on my Macbook Pro (2015) and it ran very smoothly on it unlike my Mac Mini which is very sluggish. After an unfortunate accident with the Macbook Pro and a can of beer leaking on it while in my man bag and completely ruining it I can't go back to playing it on the Mac Mini because it's not the same.

My question is if one was to upgrade the Mac Mini to the top level Mac Mini would the game run better?
2.8GHz Processor but it's the same graphic card Intel Iris Graphics. Should I buy another Macbook or upgraded Mac Mini? Would it run?

Mac mini
@SiRacer420 is a computer guy I believe?

There is a large number of variables that we don't know that can affect cpu performance ...

A crappy-ish video card can often be a huge bottleneck for computers... Hard drive speed ... Ram availability ...

Personally I wouldn't invest more money into your Mac Mini... I'd save up and try the 21" iMac for a home cpu or look into a new MacBook ...

@SiRacer420 is a computer guy I believe?

There is a large number of variables that we don't know that can affect cpu performance ...

A crappy-ish video card can often be a huge bottleneck for computers... Hard drive speed ... Ram availability ...

Personally I wouldn't invest more money into your Mac Mini... I'd save up and try the 21" iMac for a home cpu or look into a new MacBook ...
Or you could have a PC built for you by someone we know.

I agree with what all of @Lexkempo said.

If you can afford it, I'd go with an iMac. All the mac minis I've ever used were for server type stuff. Mostly hosting images that we pushed to machines. I don't know what video card is in it but if your MBP ran a game better, I'd say it's a poo card.

I'm with you with the mac only bit. I've worked in too many places with large numbers of machines both PC and Mac. I'd rather run an Apple environment any day. From a user's point of view, I can see how PCs would be easier.

Back