• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Madman Look Alike?

So I was in Solstice Sunglasses today and the sales associate pointed out this new "futuristic Cristian Dior" frame. The second I saw it, it reminded me of the madman so I had to try it on. I hope the fit of the real Madman is similar to these because they were very comfortable.

actually look real good on u!
A gentlemen pair
As of Oakley's pair i guess its more of a WOW/EW~ factor wearing pair

So you've often got products at 100% replica standards coming out of 10 locations within a few miles of each other.
Or even the same location. 100,000 go out the "front" door and 10,000 go out the back. Wild West is an accurate analogy.

Or even the same location. 100,000 go out the "front" door and 10,000 go out the back. Wild West is an accurate analogy.

Indeed. Part of my role with the company was to try and curb the flow of stuff like this after the move from China, I don't mind fully admitting I failed hugely. However many 'incentives' were offered to workers, factories etc. it would be outweighed by a counter offer 'too good to refuse' to give designs, specifications, prints etc.

Like you say, out the back door, I always referred to as the 'third shift'. You may operate for production 16 hours of the day, but what happens from midnight to 8am when the lights go out is anyone's guess..........although the outcome is often of course 1:1 replica products that there is no real way of distinguishing between the real thing and the replica.

Lux certainly haven't given up the fight, but they are fighting Forest fires with a water pistol is the analogy I would use. This will always be the problem with Chinese productions. It's nothing to do with the quality, but more about the culture and mindset the production trade is across the board there, for opportunists (even their government at times) taking a piece of the corporate pie and the $'s and £'s up for grabs. The rewards far outweigh the risks, once caught, very little if anything will happen to someone taking a counterfeiting risk. It's all seen as part of the game.

Anyway, apologies for digressing again.

Indeed. Part of my role with the company was to try and curb the flow of stuff like this after the move from China, I don't mind fully admitting I failed hugely. However many 'incentives' were offered to workers, factories etc. it would be outweighed by a counter offer 'too good to refuse' to give designs, specifications, prints etc.

Like you say, out the back door, I always referred to as the 'third shift'. You may operate for production 16 hours of the day, but what happens from midnight to 8am when the lights go out is anyone's guess..........although the outcome is often of course 1:1 replica products that there is no real way of distinguishing between the real thing and the replica.

Lux certainly haven't given up the fight, but they are fighting Forest fires with a water pistol is the analogy I would use. This will always be the problem with Chinese productions. It's nothing to do with the quality, but more about the culture and mindset the production trade is across the board there, for opportunists (even their government at times) taking a piece of the corporate pie and the $'s and £'s up for grabs. The rewards far outweigh the risks, once caught, very little if anything will happen to someone taking a counterfeiting risk. It's all seen as part of the game.

Anyway, apologies for digressing again.
Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting. My question is when did this begin and my doesn't lux have a supervisor at each factory to make sure they don't use the factory "while the lights are off"? Also could a factory make frames in colors that are out of production such as the Supreme frogskins. Or does the factory only have the materials and capabilities of making 1:1 copies of the frame/colors that are currently in production at the factory?

Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting. My question is when did this begin and my doesn't lux have a supervisor at each factory to make sure they don't use the factory "while the lights are off"? Also could a factory make frames in colors that are out of production such as the Supreme frogskins. Or does the factory only have the materials and capabilities of making 1:1 copies of the frame/colors that are currently in production at the factory?

Factories all have to pass 'standards' inspections via Lux and all other sunglasses companies follow the same procedures as far as I know, I've never spoken to one who doesn't anyway. It doesn't seem to make much difference, stuff slips out, the lights get turned back on after hours, machines get 'borrowed' then returned so counterfeiters can get molds they need etc. There are 101 different problems.

Yes, you are exactly right, I often see a lot of limited run productions or out of production products pick up. I think I recently posted a few I heard about in a Frogskins fake thread a while back. The C-Six is a classic example of this, obviously we know how many real ones are out there, but I've seen with my own eyes these stacked up to the ceiling that have been seized. They are 1:1 up to the point of the serial/run number. The levels some of these guys have got to now is staggering.

The C-Six is a classic example of this, obviously we know how many real ones are out there, but I've seen with my own eyes these stacked up to the ceiling that have been seized. They are 1:1 up to the point of the serial/run number. The levels some of these guys have got to now is staggering.

How did they make a 1:1 replication of the carbon fibre on the C Six? Back then, and even till today, the way to get that kinda texture is milling or sanding individual parts. I didn't think Lux factories had that capability?

How did they make a 1:1 replication of the carbon fibre on the C Six? Back then, and even till today, the way to get that kinda texture is milling or sanding individual parts. I didn't think Lux factories had that capability?

The C-Six is certainly not as well made as the marketing would suggest. It doesn't not make it awesome.

The alu C-Six I have seen replicated to many standards, some poor, through to almost indistinguishable to the eye, minus the serial. Someone was selling them as prototypes on eBay a while back, I believe sold two before was finally busted.

Ironically there were prototypes, which actually differ very slightly from what you see today.

You mean the one with the demonstration kit? Those were actually real but had no difference from the final product other than the prototype marking on the earstems (it was more a marketing "prototype" rather than a true prototype).

I was referring to the ones in New York and Canada that claimed they were prototypes. Those were very clear fakes.

Latest Posts

Back