• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

MAG M Frame Question

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
I've been eyeballing a pair of Magnesium M Frames that seem pretty sweet but I'm wondering about replacement lenses. Can they use regular M Frame lenses or do you have to have special lenses for the Magnesium model? Thanks!

Mag M Frames can only use Mag M Frames lenses. Don't think you can chop a M Frame lens to fit. I believe even the good Dr. Chop has tried.

Thanks for the info everybody. Sounds like I should stay away unless I want to just let them sit on the shelf, afraid to damage the lenses. Not my style, I buy to wear....

Saves more money for Juliets, anyway...

Sounds like I should stay away
But they're so awesome, especially plasma/fire. Then plasma/ice.
The lenses are unique to the Mags and they aren't able to be chopped from anything else.
It wouldn't surprise me if drchop can do something though but I hadn't heard of it.
Forum member wasnt me has several lenses for sale at a fair price.
You use a regular T-6 driver to take them out with ease.

But they're so awesome, especially plasma/fire. Then plasma/ice.
The lenses are unique to the Mags and they aren't able to be chopped from anything else.
It wouldn't surprise me if drchop can do something though but I hadn't heard of it.
Forum member wasnt me has several lenses for sale at a fair price.
You use a regular T-6 driver to take them out with ease.

Howdy CarGuy, you were mentioned as the Mag expert, thanks for dropping in.

Yeah, they do look pretty wicked. I was looking at plasma hybrid fire.

To be honest, I'd never heard of the Mags before, though I've known about X-Metal since its release. Says it's magnesium alloy completely sealed with a ceramic polymer "at the molecular level".

Can you or anyone provide a little historical context / timeline of the Mags compared to X-Metal? Thanks!

From O-Review: " In 2002 when Oakley experimented with Magnesium as a frame material, the Mag M Frame entered production with its own proprietary lenses, but still using the same outer shape."
M Frames
Also from Dann, Oakley timeline:
Oakley Timeline
Hope this helps!

its basically magnesium with a baked-on ceramic coat on it. they used to hang the frames from clips that attach to the frame under where the the earsocks are - leaving a weak spot. used pairs that got sweat underneath the earsocks suffered nasty corrosion.

Latest Posts

Back