• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mag Switch Repair?

Time Frame

Oakley Expert
Indiana
I have an old pair of Mag Switches that are in rough shape that I have had for years. The nose bombs are melted onto to the frame and they are scuffed up pretty bad. I would like to restore them the best I can. Any suggestions?

easy way - send to Doc chop. but if you want to DIY, i can give you some pointers. i have a thread somewhere (search around) about rebuilding a pair of mag switches i had.

Nosebombs shouldnt be melted on - most likely really gummed up, just wiggle it loose, they are quite tight, and attach like most nosebombs (eg half, Flak Jacket nosebombs), basically the rubber hooks onto 2 hooks in the frame, one top and one bottom.

that'd be step 1.

also, frame CANNOT be disassembled. the hinges and flex couplers are PLASTIC pins and are fixed. so dont try.

Lenses are also DAMN STUCK in there, so prepare to ruin them if you try to take em out. Getting the new ones in isnt much easier either.

also dont press too hard on earstems etc cos magnesium will just snap on you, like a twig.

earsocks are removable, but very thin so careful not to rip them.

if you ask me, send it to the Doc. its too much messing around. i wouldnt do it again myself unless i was really REALLY bored.

Wow thanks alot. Since I am fairly new here in the forum I am not familiar with Doc Chop and it sounds like I really need to be. :) Is there a secret password or handshake to properly meet with him or should I just pm him for his services.

Thanks again

If we told you the secret handshake, then it wouldnt be a secret anymore now, would it?

Mag Switch was such an awesome frame with terrible inherent design flaws. The ceramic mantle over the magnesium always degraded terribly, lenses that were designed to go in and not come out, I mean HUH??? and just poor planning...Love em though lol.

Can it be cleaned with soap and water without damage to the frame?

Back