• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mag Switch

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
What's the story on the Mag Switch? I've heard nothing but horror stories about them flaking. If you were able to get a pair, would you wear them or just display them? What's underneath the magnesium paint? Is it possible that when the paint does start to flake to just strip the entire frame of the paint? Does sweating really accelerate the corrosion that badly? What about skin oils? Would that accelerate the corrosion as well?

I don't own a Mag Switch, but I do have Mag M Frame and Mag Four I wear occasionally. I have never experienced the flaking that some have had. Mine are in good condition, but again they don't see a ton of use.

I don't own a Mag Switch, but I do have Mag M Frame and Mag Four I wear occasionally. I have never experienced the flaking that some have had. Mine are in good condition, but again they don't see a ton of use.
Yeah I don't plan on wearing it every day but it would definitely be in the rotation. I figure that will naturally extend the life of it just like any pair but it just seemed from the reviews that Mags were exceptionally fragile with the flaking.

I'd really like a Mag Switch eventually but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before committing the money.

I've got a pair, I bought them probably 9 years ago. Yes they flake, and from what I was told sweating and skin oils speed that process along. I had mine replaced probably 6 years ago with a brand new pair because of flaking and the replacement pair has flaked as well. Not real bad mind you, there is a small patch under the nose bridge and a bit behind the ear socks. I will try and post some pics, but I never had any luck in the paste with that despite following instructions. PM me your email and if I can't post pics I'll email you them.

I own 2 pairs, I rarely wear them as I am familiar with the problem. When I do wear them it is usually wintertime, thus it eliminates the sweating issue. After awhile they will wear on the ends of the earstems from repeated use...

I've got a pair, I bought them probably 9 years ago. Yes they flake, and from what I was told sweating and skin oils speed that process along. I had mine replaced probably 6 years ago with a brand new pair because of flaking and the replacement pair has flaked as well. Not real bad mind you, there is a small patch under the nose bridge and a bit behind the ear socks. I will try and post some pics, but I never had any luck in the paste with that despite following instructions. PM me your email and if I can't post pics I'll email you them.
Do you use Photobucket? I find that easier to use than Imageshack.

I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to prevent flaking. Like a spray coat or something.

Back