• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mag Switches

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Love these Mag Switches. Finally completed the triple with the Ti Copper.

Just love their texture and the Juliet look, but slightly looser and more solid looking.

Their cousins, the mag 4s look like kid toy sunglasses in comparison, with their small flat lenses and simpler design.

But don't drop them. Heard they shatter like glass! And don't wear them too much in hot/sweaty conditions because the magnesium is so reactive, it will flake and discolour (see my pearl pair on the right lens edge).

Care to explain? I heard water does something bad to them but I'm not sure. Thanks

Since Magnesium is a reactive metal to anything other than oil, it really isn' t advisable to have them wet or in water for any period of time. I know it's an alloy but even then, it obviously is stiĺl reactive at some level. Hence the marks left after sweat has been left on them. The marks left appear to be from the mantle having lost it's protection from the magnesium beneath.

Since Magnesium is a reactive metal to anything other than oil, it really isn' t advisable to have them wet or in water for any period of time. I know it's an alloy but even then, it obviously is stiĺl reactive at some level. Hence the marks left after sweat has been left on them. The marks left appear to be from the mantle having lost it's protection from the magnesium beneath.
Quite interesting, thanks for the insight. Its weird Oakley did not find this before sending them to the showroom, or at least try to fix it by clear coating (might be due to the awful finished look it might have had) or something. Anyway they are quite beatiful, sad about not being able to wear them, but beautiful nonetheless

Back