• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Making Frogskins Fit A Smaller Head?

N.Wood

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, first post here so please be pleasant :tongue:

I have a pair of matte black / violet iridium Frogskins and whilst I love them, I could do with them gripping my head slightly tighter.

Is there a way to do this? Bending arms, some sort of retrofit ear sock, hinge modification?

Did search but 'making smaller' came up with nothing!

Thanks for any help!

I have heard of people using a foam tape on the frame in front of the arms to make the arms sit a little tighter.

Depending on the thickness of the tape as well as the tighness you want your would either need one or two peices but it would just essentially stop the arms from opening all the way.

There are a lot of pairs that don't fit everyone's head. Juliets don't fit me at all, and while I'd love to wear them, I can't. Modifying a pair by any means will compromise the design and the function of the frame.

Oakley makes some nice smaller models, check them out.

If you like the style, Jupiter LX are very tight on my head. You can probably go with a pair of those.

On second thought, a pair of Frogskins LX may be tighter. Do some research there too.

Good luck, regards, and welcome!

Another option if you are dead set on wearing frogskins is to go to an optical shop and have them warm plastic with heated air to change the fit. Of course you can do the same thing yourself with a hairdryer but be very careful, too warm and the plastic actually starts melting. Another word of caution if you are going to use this method is that it is better for mono-color frogs. Those frogskins with patterns or designs may be compromised during this process (Although I wouldn't know, I only have used this method on a pair of Greg Lutzka's that got seriously warped during shipping, the white frame come out fine in the end). Everything came out right and they ended up fitting exactly like my other frogs.

That being said, I echo the sentiments of the last few posters, you may be better off (it will at least be easier) with a different model that just fits better! But I also sympathize with desiring to wear a certain model so do what makes you happy! As far as compromising the design of the pair, you should be able to make the necessary fitting tweaks without modifying the frame so much that their is an aesthetic difference. Regarding compromising the function, it sounds like you have pretty limited functionality from the current pair that doesn't fit so I wouldn't worry about that necessarily. The one additional note I will make is that a lot of frogs, along with many Oakley frames, is the collect-ability of the frame. If it is a sought after pair, making any modifications will seriously affect the desirability of it. However, if this is a pair you plan on wearing until the frog won't croak no more, than that's not really an issue. As with anything in life, you have to be the one happy, so try modifying them if your in love with frogs, or don't. Either way I would take the excuse to go to an O store and check out a bunch of different frames!!! Hope this helps, just my two cents in the end...

Thanks guys!
They are bog standard matte black with violet irid lenses and I'm in no way a collector or even enthusiast, but I like to ask people who know what they're on about and you guys certainly do!

I will ask a local opticians and see what they recommend. I did have a look for some froggy LX's in the for sale section, but I couldn't see any that were non-collectors items and a lot of y'all are in the USA (i'm English). I will continue looking though, thanks once again for all your help!

Back