• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Manufacturing defect?

shouldnt oakley give you an RMA number which should be free shipping.... send them pics of defects...Emails do not really get you anywhere need to talk to someone on the phone directly.

shouldnt oakley give you an RMA number which should be free shipping.... send them pics of defects...Emails do not really get you anywhere need to talk to someone on the phone directly.
I sent pics to Oakley Europe, then I got a reply today asking for more pics and promising that a customer service rep will get back to me, possibly (hopefully) mailing me a replacement lens. The pics are not very good (see my OP), but I hope they can see what the problem is.

The seller has also been supportive so far. So if Oakley doesn't respond, I may have to go with the seller's offer. But I'm a bit pressed for time (will be traveling soon), so I hope this gets sorted out quickly either way.

slvrsragn69 and BHarry, are you talking about Oakley US or Oakley Europe?

Oh, and slvrdragn69, how frequent are such issues? You seem to have seen more of them

I was speaking of Oakley US. The frequency is probably not far off from what you had said earlier at 1 out of 100 or so. If you inspect as many glasses that come through as I do you're bound to see them. Its really not abnormal for any company. Some batches that I get in are just awful and the number of defects are higher but most people don't look hard enough to see the little tiny specs. Hope it all works out for you though

I was speaking of Oakley US. The frequency is probably not far off from what you had said earlier at 1 out of 100 or so. If you inspect as many glasses that come through as I do you're bound to see them. Its really not abnormal for any company. Some batches that I get in are just awful and the number of defects are higher but most people don't look hard enough to see the little tiny specs. Hope it all works out for you though
This info is very helpful, thanks. What happens with this 1% that you see? And what do you mean by "not abnormal"? Do you actually manage to have them sent back and replaced as defective? Or are people simply forced to keep them?
And is there a risk that if I get a replacement, it might (in theory) haven even more defects?

Yeah, my sight is still pretty good and I tend to inspect everything I buy very carefully (actually, I do remember now buying a VR28 Radarlock in the NYC Times Square/Broadway O Store a few years ago when I had them show me 3 or 4 because the first ones all had some small defect; not sure if it was just a scratch or this kind of tiny bubble in the material)

This info is very helpful, thanks. What happens with this 1% that you see? And what do you mean by "not abnormal"? Do you actually manage to have them sent back and replaced as defective? Or are people simply forced to keep them?
And is there a risk that if I get a replacement, it might (in theory) haven even more defects?

Yeah, my sight is still pretty good and I tend to inspect everything I buy very carefully (actually, I do remember now buying a VR28 Radarlock in the NYC Times Square/Broadway O Store a few years ago when I had them show me 3 or 4 because the first ones all had some small defect; not sure if it was just a scratch or this kind of tiny bubble in the material)

If it's directly in the view of the wearer I send em back with no problems at all. I just have to get a return auth and then I just order a new one to replace it. I highly doubt you'll get another with a problem worse if even the same.

I say not abnormal because every brand I carry has the same issues. It just happens. Not a defect as much as it's just part of the fabrication process. Sometimes the air bubbles don't bake out of the lens while it's being made.

If it's directly in the view of the wearer I send em back with no problems at all. I just have to get a return auth and then I just order a new one to replace it. I highly doubt you'll get another with a problem worse if even the same.

I say not abnormal because every brand I carry has the same issues. It just happens. Not a defect as much as it's just part of the fabrication process. Sometimes the air bubbles don't bake out of the lens while it's being made.
So has this been an issue for a long time then? As I said, I've never had any similar problems with multiple Oakley over the years.

So has this been an issue for a long time then? As I said, I've never had any similar problems with multiple Oakley over the years.

I've seen it for years. I've been in the industry for about 12 years and it goes as far back as that. But like I said before, it's not just Oakley that has the issue.

I've seen it for years. I've been in the industry for about 12 years and it goes as far back as that. But like I said before, it's not just Oakley that has the issue.
But Oakley should not have such issues. That's what is supposed to set them apart.

So, the seller offered me to ship back the glasses (they would also refund the shipping cost) and they have ordered a replacement pair (same model). This is all great. BUT: they told me this morning that the replacement, which had just arrived to their store, has exactly the same defect (small bubble in the lens material, also on the right side). What is going on with Oakley QC?
The full refund offer still stands, so I can get my money back if I decide to send back the glasses, but it seems they cannot get me another pair with not defect.

I work in production and when you do the same things repeatedly you get comfortable and stuff gets past. Its really not out of the ordinary man. Everyone screws up that's why there's a customer care line...

Back