• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Mariener Lens Info/Owner’s Page

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Updated 1st May, 2021 by cacatman

BREAKING NEWS!
@Bonz-1 has kindly offered to help us buy in bulk. Leave a message in this thread if you are interested!

Read my @Marien Mariener lens review here - 🦘 Review of the matte Mariener lens

If you have a pair of Mariener lenses installed in your Oakleys, leave a comment (with a picture) preferably and I'll update this list!

Mariener Lens Owner #:-
  1. @lacampbell2005
  2. @cacatman
  3. @Marien
  4. @Serhat
  5. @SouLFuLFroG
These lenses (Mariener Melange) measure 49mm in height and 42mm in width
It will not fit any X-Metals except Mars (@Serhat) as per Mars on top of Mariener Lens. The Mariener Mellow will likely fit Penny but would definitely need to be hand cut for Juliets (theoretically).

Photo from @Serhat
28lbbwh-jpg.jpg

Introduction
Probably some of you have heard about those crazy matte Dillon lenses.

And then...@htrap2294 alerted us to a relatively new company, called Mariener who had come up with their own technology to do similar matte lenses.

Well, the 2012 founder of Mariener, @Marien and his Kickstarter launched company has started producing an alternative lens with similar look! And somehow, he found O.F., so we can get the information "straight from the horses mouth" as it were!!

Matte Reflective Sunglasses - Mariener Eyewear Webshop
Mariener Eyewear FB Page
Mariener Eyewear (@marienernl) • Instagram photos and videos Instagram Page
Mariener Eyewear Youtube Channel

P.S. If you sign up, you get a 10% discount code, too!!

screenshot_290.png

screenshot_291.png

Entry price level is awesome as well!!

Brief Review (@Serhat)
- Seems like it is a bit darker than Torch and Ruby Juliet.
- Mariener lenses are not polarized.
- In terms of clarity, they seem a little unclear compared to torch and ruby lenses.

Mariener, Juliet with Ruby and Carbon Shift with Torch (photos by @Serhat)
1644g1-jpg.jpg

o57x1s-jpg.jpg

8wcuo7-jpg.jpg

screenshot_327.png

Questions to @Marien

1. What is the Base Curvature and dimensions of the lenses? "The base lens depends on the frame style, but these particular ones are 6C, 2mm thick and 73mm in diameter, the actual cut is roughly 45mm in height and 55mm at their max for our frames" (@Marien)
  2. Do you have any comparison/objective tests with other lenses on the market?
  3. Do you have any details about how resilient/scratch proof/clear/shatter proof they are? Oakley has a good reputation for objectively proven eye protection in the event of foreign bodies to the eye, or faceplants.
  4. Also, do you/can you/will you manufacture larger blanks??!!! No (@Marien)
  5. Will you sell to us? (Dillon makes it hard for us to use their lenses)!! YES!! (@Marien)
  6. If you are willing to sell, would you consider a discount with bulk order shipped to one address in the USA? Yes
  7. What is clarity like? They rate 99.8% out of 100% in terms of clarity. In reference to an ASTM standard, tested by an BYK Gardner meter.
Sorry about the million questions. Thanks in advance.

Some of these guys may be interested in exploring your lenses!
@sybiria, @Litos, @dh4645, @DeepWaterVortex, @Aggie07, @Amanoramonkey, @Da veracity, @Jaytypes, @donkeanu, @YakuzaFloralGangsta, @kevonai, @NuttyOAK13Y, @Reese's Pieces, @Cutch22, @Oak Heel, @Oaks Between the Hedges, @lacampbell2005, @htrap2294, @X-Metal Beast, @SoulFulFrog, @BigRabbit, @Linegear Japan, @dingo ate my baby, @Jmgarcia, @Trucker360, @kronin323, @Chris A Hardaway, @jdd32

Last edited:
Hi Marien and welcome :)

I have already talked to Marien and checked these lenses, they are too small for X-Metals. But Marien is very optimistic about new model at a later time with bigger lenses.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I actually came across this activity by I believe a member from this forum who send us an email. I would have refrained from posting an appreciative post if there wasn't already a mentioning of Mariener, FYI. I am aware that lenses are being modified to fit frames from other brands.

28435012_2068420273411869_6638130439984775168_n.jpg

At the moment our Matte Reflective Lenses are only available for our Melange frame, which is a small to medium size, very resilient and quite basic actually, which is part the charm. The effect is created by a variety of coatings. The base lens depends on the frame style, but these particular ones are 6C, 2mm thick and 73mm in diameter, the actual cut is roughly 45mm in height and 55mm at their max for our frames. I'll need to check what the anti scratch results were for this prior badge but they rack up some pretty good miles. I have them thrown in my car for a couple of months now and there are, as far as I can tell, no noticeable scratches.

We plan on bringing these lenses to our other frames as well, quite possibly go further with this in the future depending on the interest and response from our customers. We are a small brand, active for over 6 years now, trying to bring any form of improvement throughout the years without sacrificing on price.

To give a direct answer regarding blanks, no, im afraid we will not be offering these as blanks.

And honestly I have no problem with anyone using our products even if they only use them for the lenses, or the screws that hold each of the parts together.

If there are any questions please let me know, i'll try to answer them with as much respect for Oakley, or any other brand out there and not start a turf war here ;)

Hey Guys, I actually came across this activity by I believe a member from this forum who send us an email. I would have refrained from posting an appreciative post if there wasn't already a mentioning of Mariener, FYI. I am aware that lenses are being modified to fit frames from other brands.

At the moment our Matte Reflective Lenses are only available for our Melange frame, which is a small to medium size, very resilient and quite basic actually, which is part the charm. The effect is created by a variety of coatings. The base lens depends on the frame style, but these particular ones are 6C, 2mm thick and 73mm in diameter, the actual cut is roughly 45mm in height and 55mm at their max for our frames. I'll need to check what the anti scratch results were for this prior badge but they rack up some pretty good miles. I have them thrown in my car for a couple of months now and there are, as far as I can tell, no noticeable scratches.

We plan on bringing these lenses to our other frames as well, quite possibly go further with this in the future depending on the interest and response from our customers. We are a small brand, active for over 6 years now, trying to bring any form of improvement throughout the years without sacrificing on price.

To give a direct answer regarding blanks, no, im afraid we will not be offering these as blanks.

And honestly I have no problem with anyone using our products even if they only use them for the lenses, or the screws that hold each of the parts together.

If there are any questions please let me know, i'll try to answer them with as much respect for Oakley, or any other brand out there and not start a turf war here ;)
Thanks for your quick response! I suspect it was probably @htrap2294 who sent you an email.

I really like the bit about you saying that you're ok with others using your lenses in other frames!!!

This website was founded for enthusiasts of Oakley. It isn't an official website of the company and as you can see, there's a special section for "modifying" Oakleys.

You won't be starting a turf war.

I tagged one of the Mods here, @SoulFulFrog and I'm sure he will advise if there's any issue with you posting stuff.

In this section, you can't post anything for sale. You have to meet the exchange guidelines of a certain number of posts and a waiting time of 2 weeks. This can be circumvented by paying for a membership.

Then you can access and sell stuff in the forum.

@Serhat actually =), but close, I checked to see if there were any prior mentions of Mariener, I'd hate it to backfire, but i took a chance and refrained from quoting any links.

have a look at our instagram account for some more real life shots, those renders won't do any justice really. I saw that we have an issue with punctuation marks on our site, it looks sloppy but we'll get it fixed.

@Serhat actually =), but close, I checked to see if there were any prior mentions of Mariener, I'd hate it to backfire, but i took a chance and refrained from quoting any links.

have a look at our instagram account for some more real life shots, those renders won't do any justice really. I saw that we have an issue with punctuation marks on our site, it looks sloppy but we'll get it fixed.

Hi buddy,

Thank you so much for reaching out to people on oakleyforum. There really is a pretty big interest for a matte lens for Oakley die-hards. The only problem is, the other manufacturer of this type of lens is Dillon, who is not that keen on having their lenses in another product. Not only that, the lenses are a very steep buy in - so I think you'd be able to corner this market well if you came out with a wider variety of frames and lenses that could be used with Oakley's base curves (6 for Frogskin, 7.25, and 8.75). 8.75 BC will likely give people the highest interest, as most of Oakley lenses are that.

If you could give us any insight on clarity, antireflective coatings, scratch resistance, that'd be great! So excited that a company is willing to be so open to something like this.

It's also awesome your lenses are made of polycarbonate, meaning that they'll retain some level of shatterproof protection which Dillon lenses lack (as they are made of CR-39).

Also, thank you @cacatman for the tag - I'm honored, was just looking for cheaper ways to get more people into some matte lenses.

Back