• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars Earstems

Hmmm ok, right no shoxs. That makes sense. They still look funny. Certainly a photo of the serial # would help.
@Bonz-1 would know, he is the Mars King!
Look at the shadow it's straight so it leads me to believe it's the angle of the photo . The bridge pins look right . The hinge screws look like torque's head . Where the ear shocks go in looks normal and it doesn't have the curved pointed earstems those are all tells of a fake.

I tried at several different angles and can't get it to do what that picture is showing. Tried similar angles to the OP with a white background. Took out the shocks for the pics. Can't reproduce. And mine are M000380 so pretty much as early production as you can get.

20190712_222939.jpg

20190712_223017.jpg

The orbitals in the OP look off to me. Not sure what it is but they dont look right. The stems look bent at that spot shown. But the lighting in that pic is really washed out so it could be as @Bonz-1 said, merely an optical illusion. Because every other tell seems legit. C clamps look right, pins, t-shock opening, and screws. But I don't like the orbitals in the OP, I must see what @Nucchem is, cause I can't get over the orbitals. I'd chalk up the stems to some fool bending them to try for a hammerstem look if not for that. But then the shadows in the OP again as Bonz stated show a different story. Better pics would put an end to the questions. With as washed out as that is you just can't tell. I put my brightness pretty high and still the 1st Gen XM finish looks black, those look almost plasma colored it's sooooo washed out.

I tried at several different angles and can't get it to do what that picture is showing. Tried similar angles to the OP with a white background. Took out the shocks for the pics. Can't reproduce. And mine are M000380 so pretty much as early production as you can get.

View attachment 634147

View attachment 634149

The orbitals in the OP look off to me. Not sure what it is but they dont look right. The stems look bent at that spot shown. But the lighting in that pic is really washed out so it could be as @Bonz-1 said, merely an optical illusion. Because every other tell seems legit. C clamps look right, pins, t-shock opening, and screws. But I don't like the orbitals in the OP, I must see what @Nucchem is, cause I can't get over the orbitals. I'd chalk up the stems to some fool bending them to try for a hammerstem look if not for that. But then the shadows in the OP again as Bonz stated show a different story. Better pics would put an end to the questions. With as washed out as that is you just can't tell. I put my brightness pretty high and still the 1st Gen XM finish looks black, those look almost plasma colored it's sooooo washed out.
Nice investigatory effort. I agree!
Seems the question man has dropped out.
We want serial numbers:headbang:

@Nucchem: Nah, still here. Have a little patience w/ me, buddy :). I am just not on the forum 24/7 (my bad). Thanks for all your input, everybody!

Here are a ton of pictures to look at. As I said, looks (mostly) legit to me, but those earstems really put me off. Let me know if there's anything else that seems odd.

Personally, I wouldn't focus all that much on a serial # when it comes to authenticity, though. If you can build those it should be a piece of cake to etch / mill / laser a serial # (how do you think Oakley did it on X-Metals btw?) .

13.jpg

IMG_1562954018679_92685.jpg

IMG_1562954018687_65001.jpg

IMG_1562954018689_68418.jpg

IMG_1562954035510_23701.jpg

IMG_1562954035513_91245.jpg

IMG_1562954035516_82636.jpg

IMG_1562954050381_42826.jpg

IMG_1562954050387_82162.jpg

IMG_1562954050389_67379.jpg

It looks like there is a mark on the inside of the stem that was used to shape them. I say they are custom bent and the fact that there was not temple shocks in them goes along with that. If that is really how you got them.

It would be interesting to see pictures of what they look like after you add in temple shocks. Also, did you ever inquire with the seller if he altered the legs and if so, what did he say?

Latest Posts

Back