• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars help

Those are problems with the early X metals the only thing I would do is I would try to blend a little bit of the pocket so it's a little bigger with a small dremel tool then refinish it with an X metal blast if it bothers you
This. No X Metal genius here, but with my job it seem like something wasnt finished right.

They can be easily fixed without dremelling. From what I've seen it's due to over-tensioning of the hinge screw which is clamping down onto the arm thus restricting the access area.

You can bend it as suggested, or if you're not comfortable then get someone to do it for you. I've fixed a few Juliets with this same problem already and restored back to OEM x-metal grey

You know, come to think of it, I had an R1 that did this same thing. I fixed it by putting in some thicker earstem washers which took care of the problem. That's one easy fix you could try.

Everyone has great suggestions, that's why I love this place. I'm going to try to narrow it down to what's catching, and not allowing full movement. I think X-man and dcl10 could be correct about being a problem with earlier casting. jdd32 makes a great point also, the hinge was really tight. Initially, I thought that I could just loosen the hinge and that would solve the problem. I'm going to get out my T6 and see if I can't get a closer look inside the hinge to see what's binding. Just dreading putting it back together if I have to take it completely off. Those washers are a pain to keep aligned while sliding everything back in, even with toothpicks.

Everyone has great suggestions, that's why I love this place. I'm going to try to narrow it down to what's catching, and not allowing full movement. I think X-man and dcl10 could be correct about being a problem with earlier casting. jdd32 makes a great point also, the hinge was really tight. Initially, I thought that I could just loosen the hinge and that would solve the problem. I'm going to get out my T6 and see if I can't get a closer look inside the hinge to see what's binding. Just dreading putting it back together if I have to take it completely off. Those washers are a pain to keep aligned while sliding everything back in, even with toothpicks.

washers are easy to install. Wedge out the hinge location by shoving something like a piece of wood or plastic into T-shock, and use water to 'glue' the washers to the arm in place. You'll be done in no time :)

Ok, so I had to take the hinge screw all the way out for the the earstem to properly function. Everything seems to be aligned properly, but the screw will not go back in unless I let the earstem go back into position that it was beforeand it stays stuck in that position. Looks like it may be as casting problem.

they can also get warped over time with previous owners possibly neglecting them. Only permanent fix is either bend them or mutilate them.

they can also get warped over time with previous owners possibly neglecting them. Only permanent fix is either bend them or mutilate them.

There is no previous owner. I got these from sunglasspart on ebay. She sold lots of these, and they're all legit unused pairs. Honestly I think it's a factory flaw. I'll keep everyone posted. May just have to do a little mod to the part of the earstem that sits inside the hinge. Lets see what happens.

Back