• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars landing

• Thread starter dragonvoi
  • Start date
Well yes, if your goal was to get an example of each Mars serial type, congrats, you got it.

And my Mars goals are similar, though not even as grand - 1 Crater (got it), 2 Mars (not yet) one of which with a custom refinish. And I don't care about boxes.

And I guess I'm gonna have to get a madman when it comes out, even though it's not an x-metal and is so radical it makes regular Mars look conservative...

Now, there are seven different Mars / Crater SKUs, with that SGH emerald very very rare... and then there's Mars ice lenses that never officially made production yet somehow got into the market (not aftermarket, not custom cut)...

But you didn't say you're trying to get every SKU, only "all the frames". But please clarify - by that, do you mean like this, an example of each different SKU prefix? What about suffix (gen)? And/or for the nonserialed, do you mean every finish available for each frame? I've thought about that but my ambitions are that big yet... :D
Ice Mars did make it to production. They were just available as replacements and for a very short time (for what ever reason).

OK - I was basing my info from a comment Dann made in his leather mars youtube review, but it was vague.

Well depends how you define production I guess. I don't they ever got a sku, but they were made and available for sale from what I understand. That was before my time.

bro don't make this difficult for your self you have a crater check, reg mars check, Jordan mars check, what you need ruby easy to get customize one, emeralds easy customize one. get 2 frames on ebay w/o lenses let HERO cut the lenses there you go done deal..you have all of it ;).

Same could be said of many Juliet varients, buy a carbon frame and custom cut some Vr50 lens and you have a Finito,buy another carbon frame custom cut some 24ks and you have a corvette - only you don't do you?
There is a big difference between collecting genuine Oakley production models and making copies,it is much harder and more expensive to gather a collection of serialised / box matched Oakleys than making copies, if thats what you want thats great but it just doesn't do it for me!

^lol^ same could be said about anything. Some have the funds to venture there, others don't. What is one's cup of tea is not another's...yeah yeah we get it....already.

I myself think you got an outstanding complete collection.

Same could be said of many Juliet varients, buy a carbon frame and custom cut some Vr50 lens and you have a Finito,buy another carbon frame custom cut some 24ks and you have a corvette - only you don't do you?
There is a big difference between collecting genuine Oakley production models and making copies,it is much harder and more expensive to gather a collection of serialised / box matched Oakleys than making copies, if thats what you want thats great but it just doesn't do it for me!

See, this is where i agree/disagree. Having a finito clone with the same colorway is not the same because what makes it different for me is the serial number. The serial indicates it is a finito and the corect colorway would be carbon vr50 topped off with the lens etching.

Now if i had oem ruby and oem black iridium lenses installed in two mars frames. No one woulde be able to tell the difference, even with the matching box, as with other pairs that were customized through oakley that would have non matching labels.

No its not that juliet pieces are diffrent they have their own respective serials that identifies them. The mars does not have them. I dont know about the jordans but most starts with an MO regardless of color.....and by the way the post is for the mars not your how you prefer on collecting some copies works for others, some dont because some of the pieces are discontinued there is nothing wrong for a POOR MANS THIS AND POOR MANS THAT.

Well, look at Romeo - Mars may not have differentiated the serials per colorway (frame + lens) but at least they were all the same frame finish. Romeo (aside from Jordans) used the same serial prefix for all colorways, different frame finishes and lenses alike! Even the 2nd & 3rd gen Romeo serials didn't differentiate between plasma and Ti finishes...

And I agree, an original serialed colorway is much more collectable than a DIY clone. And yes, if replacement lenses match the originals, there's no way to tell unless the seller decides to disclose.

But I have no problem with DIY clones. If I did some I wouldn't call them anything other than a clone, though. Personally any clones I make would be entirely coincidental, because I was going for a combination that happens to clone an original colorway. In fact, I've gone the other direction - I put my custom cut Violets and purple rubbers on a Juliet polished frame instead of plasma to avoid being too much of an IH clone. But I have no problem if somebody wants to do that, if it's properly represented for what it is.

And, as one who wears his pairs, it's probably better to wear a clone than devalue a rare original colorway pair...

Well, look at Romeo - Mars may not have differentiated the serials per colorway (frame + lens) but at least they were all the same frame finish. Romeo (aside from Jordans) used the same serial prefix for all colorways, different frame finishes and lenses alike! Even the 2nd & 3rd gen Romeo serials didn't differentiate between plasma and Ti finishes...

And I agree, an original serialed colorway is much more collectable than a DIY clone. And yes, if replacement lenses match the originals, there's no way to tell unless the seller decides to disclose.

But I have no problem with DIY clones. If I did some I wouldn't call them anything other than a clone, though. Personally any clones I make would be entirely coincidental, because I was going for a combination that happens to clone an original colorway. In fact, I've gone the other direction - I put my custom cut Violets and purple rubbers on a Juliet polished frame instead of plasma to avoid being too much of an IH clone. But I have no problem if somebody wants to do that, if it's properly represented for what it is.

And, as one who wears his pairs, it's probably better to wear a clone than devalue a rare original colorway pair...
Absolutely im not afraid to say it BUT THATS A DUMB COMMENT x metals are x metals regardless on how you value it, it has its own value regardless either a clone or not, its is obvious that all of us wants the exclusive pieces but where you gonna get them? And can you afford them? Same story with custom cut lenses they are clones of the original oem lenses and there is nothing wrong with that.......