• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars Leather frame clip replacement

Oakley for life

I should Work at Oakley
I just got in the mail a very nice pre-owned Mars Leather from a fellow Forum member! I have been wanting this glass for a long time. The condition is very good except it is missing a clip that holds the frame tight around the lens. The seller gave me four extra clips. Any help or thoughts on how to install a new clip? Thanks

Are the clips OEM or aftermarket, i.e. LineGear?

OEM clips are notoriously brittle. You get better results if you warm them up a little bit first. LG clips are more flexible.

You need needlenose or mini-needlenose pliers, mini being preferable. First open up the clip slightly. Then try sliding it on the post from the side. Squeeze the orbital to close the gap and rotate the clip so the opening lines with the gap in the back. Use the pliers to squeeze the clip to hold the post closed.

Do all of these steps slowly and very carefully; it's a pain in the ass. Some cover their tool surfaces with tape to help prevent accidental marring, though that will affect their grip.

If the C-clip is already open enough to fit over the nubs - great! If not, then take a small flathead screwdriver or pair of needle nose pliers and open the clip enough so it fits [over the nubs]. When you install them you may need to rotate the C-clip or put it on at an angle of sorts - this is common as the clips are not round and the laws of physics apply. ;)

Once the C-clip is over the nubs its time to tighten. I hold the orbital closed with one hand while closing the clip with needle nose pliers with the other hand. I use a small pair of needle nose pliers with electrical tape on the ends. That tape keeps the pliers from scratching the frame (and the clips in some cases). Others use shrink tubing or rubber tape - anything to keep metal from touching metal.

When the clips are installed the lens fit should be firm. There should still be small gaps in between the buns. Also, as long as the lenses are tight you are good - do not over-tighten the clip as that does not help. If the lenses are secure and not rattling leave well enough alone. I've had a few mars find their way to me where someone clamped down on the clips with a vise - that is not necessary.

To remove the C-clips use a small screwdriver - small enough to fit in the gap with the clip closed, maybe with tape over the end. That should allow you to pry the clip open enough that it will be able to be taken off... or the same small needle nose pliers - or two pairs - can complete removal.

Good Luck!

Wow guys, thanks so very much for all the info and help!! I really appreciate it for sure! I will give it a try and see how it work. I do not know if the clips are OEM or aftermarket....

OEM or not most clips are able to be used a couple of times if handled with care. If you can reuse your clips that says you are probably doing a good job! :)

Good luck - take your time and be gentle with the Mars!

From my experiences:
- Use e-tape or a couple of layers of painters tape to cover the lenses. You never know when a slip will occur.
- Grasp the orbital in question around the outside and squeeze it to compress the orbital to get the "prongs" that the c-clip slides over to come together.
- The shafts that the c-clips fit onto seemed narrower on one side than the other. Slide the clip over the narrower sides and spin it around to the fatter side.
- DO cover whatever implement you use with tape or other protective surface as well.
It's actually pretty easy, good luck!

Thanks everyone for your comments and help!! I was able to get it on and fixed this morning and it looks great!!

Mars clip.jpg