• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mars Orbital Clips - A Total Mystery

Very interesting thread. As someone who only has one frame, and several different lens options, the C-rings can be a pain, but I have found that using a small screwdriver between the frame post, as mentioned by @Oakley OCD and @Alternative works very well, (the smaller the better as shown in Alternative's example), but in the spirit of experimentation, I ordered some small rubber o-rings earlier this past week. When they arrive, I'll try them out, and let you all know if they are worth exploring or not 🤷‍♂️
Looking forward to the results of the experimentation sir... thx...
1639326255737.gif

Looking forward to the results of the experimentation sir... thx...
View attachment 923687
Absolutely, I had been considering the o-ring option for a while, then I found this thread, saw I wasn't the only one thinking about it, figured I'd put the theory to the test. I went through Amazon, bought a bag of 25 for about $5 bucks, so if they do work, they'll be well worth the cost. It's getting the size right that's going to be the interesting part, Because you want the inner diameter small enough to keep it extremely tight, and the outter diameter thick enough that it doesn't break when you're installing it. I took a shot in the dark, and went with a 1.2mm ID x 5mm OD x 1.9 width......
Screenshot_20211212-114307_Chrome.jpg

Should be here tomorrow if tracking is to be believed.....

As Dave suggested, a good quality thin nylon thread is the best option for easy lens changes.
It's easy to have it tight so the lenses does not pop out.
And if you buy one roll, it last foreva :D

3052a2e4a21851503ed4601fce48dd5f3c.jpg

I have an update on the rubber o-ring experiment....
Don't waste your money. The inner diameter was correct, but the outter diameter of 5mm was to thick. Unfortunately any smaller diameter and you loose any chance of keeping the frame tight, as the X-Man stated. I will say this though,
@Linegear Japan 's c-rings, or split ring, evidently aren't hardened as hard as the oem rings are, because they are fairly easy to spread and squeeze back together repeatedly. Thats what I'm using on mine, and I've changed lenses several times, and I'm still using the same rings.

Back