• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Matte Colors More Brittle?

RubyRed

Oakley Beginner
Tucson, Az
So on my vacation to cali I stopped by 1 icon and picked up a brand spankin' new pair of matte black violet crankcases. I love the way they look on me, being as the fuel cell is a tad to big. I’ve owned them and wore them for around a month or so and started to realize the ends of the ear stems pinch my head a bit and become somewhat uncomfortable after and hour or so of wearing. So i just started flexing the ends out just a tad to see if they may not have as much curve to them when I hear a "SNAP!!!" yep... the end of the right stem broke off. I sat there in shock, being as I've owned many Oakley’s for more than 3 years now and this has never happened. The polished and transparent colors I own tend to feel a bit more malleable and I know O-matter is composed mostly of nylon. Do you guys think matte O-matter may be slightly more brittle than other colors? Or maybe I just purchased a defective pair.

I am also currently in the process of filing my warranty claim, which Oakley seems to be handling very well.

Pics here, sorry if they offend anyone :smile:
7489564430_fb1cd5b61c_c.jpg

7489560012_42317e0cb7_c.jpg

7489551592_fb826f6a33_c.jpg

Wow. The only Matte frame I have is my MD's. They do seam to have a different feel to them compared to my other MD frames but they still appear to be as flexible. Good question & it will be interesting to get the feedback from other members too.

The only matte frame I have is fives squared and I actually find they have a tighter fit than my polished white 5 squared. Sucks about your glasses

Everything other than the clear type frames start off the same. The shinny frames are then coated with color and gloss. I have a pair of flacks tht heat nd snd of the middle est caused the gloss to Peel off. What is left in those places is matt black frame.

I just had no idea that this could have happened.... I've seen other O-mater frames bend and flex very easily. I know pre 99' frames are prone to braking, but maby Lux is cutting some corners? I sure hope not.

EEK! I would say that looks like a defect, and likely not associated with the finish. I hope this isn't how all the Crankcases are.

Back