• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Skyler

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Maui Jim and Oakley are two of the biggest eyewear companies in the world. And with millions of pairs of sunglasses sold by each company, they are both classics in their own right. But how do they compare? We’re reviewing both companies side-by-side so you can see how the brands, styles, frames, and lenses compare!
Now let’s get started.
Maui Jim vs. Oakley Sunglasses
Oakley Overview
One of the most popular eyewear brands, Oakley specializes in sports sunglasses. Founded in 1975 by James Jannard (“Jim”), the company is now a part of eyewear giant Luxottica, which also owns other brands like Ray-Ban, Lenscrafters, and Oliver Peoples.
Today you can buy Oakleys from one of their hundreds of stores or through retailers like SunglassHut or Lenscrafters (for prescription options). Plus, you can buy them online at Oakley.com and at a variety of online retailers.
Maui Jim Overview
Founded in 1987, Maui Jim centers itself around its Hawaiian heritage and creating high-end lifestyle and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... I used to be Xmetal only type of guy and only recently have migrated toward Omatter frames. This has expanded my options but severely limited my wallet.
I jumped into frogskins- got 4 of them in two weeks. And took a long hard look at the no other than Holbrook, especially the black iridium prizm.
The frame peaked my interest due to its wide offering of lenses options but was really pushed by a large fanatic followers much like on the frogskin frame.

Coming from Maui Jim after 15 years, I had always felt a yearning for its lenses' crispiness and color production especially green and red. And this is what Maui jim is generally known for.

Well... I can say that Oakley black iridium prizm is identical or very similar to Maui jim to my untrained eyes.
Its contrast is a tad below VR28 black iridium and is able to bring out reds and green very pleasantly.

I dare to say I enjoy this prizm a bit better than lenses in the mauj Jim. Oakley favors red which brings out a more rosy ambiance while Maui jim emphasizes green-- which I had never noticed before until now.

I am sure many will enjoy this long awaited lens from Oakley.

Sorry this took so long but we haven't had any sun here in a few days

comp 1.jpg

Latest Posts

Back