• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
How are the Blue Hawaii and Maui Green lenses? I want a pair of Maui Jims, but hate the gradient lenses some models have.

Maui blue lenses are very good. They almost have a dark grey/bronze base color. I have no experience with the green lens.

Slight update - I went with the Maui Jims.

Having worn them both over the weekend, the Maui Jim Super Thin Glass really shone through compared to the Prizm Black on the Holbrooks.

Had to compromise a little on long term comfort (metal frames vs plastic), but it's not a major issue.

As for the Blue Hawaii, it's based on the Neutral Grey lens, but as it has the Blue mirror finish, it reflects blue light and makes everything look a little more bronze.

MJ say it's for bright sunshine (like the Neutral Grey), but it looks to be a touch brighter, but not as bright as the HCL Bronze.

I've seen people refer to the Neutral Grey as 10% VLT, the HCL Bronze at 15% VLT and I reckon the Blue Hawaii is about 12/13% VLT.

It's the next lens on my list to get, and I think it'll probably be my favourite.

Maui blue lenses are very good. They almost have a dark grey/bronze base color. I have no experience with the green lens.
Thanks! The gradient lenses I had in a previous pair of Maui Jims I had and that ruined them for me.

Slight update - I went with the Maui Jims.

Having worn them both over the weekend, the Maui Jim Super Thin Glass really shone through compared to the Prizm Black on the Holbrooks.

Had to compromise a little on long term comfort (metal frames vs plastic), but it's not a major issue.

As for the Blue Hawaii, it's based on the Neutral Grey lens, but as it has the Blue mirror finish, it reflects blue light and makes everything look a little more bronze.

MJ say it's for bright sunshine (like the Neutral Grey), but it looks to be a touch brighter, but not as bright as the HCL Bronze.

I've seen people refer to the Neutral Grey as 10% VLT, the HCL Bronze at 15% VLT and I reckon the Blue Hawaii is about 12/13% VLT.

It's the next lens on my list to get, and I think it'll probably be my favourite.
Thanks! I hear nothing bad about Maui Jims. I liked Costa too, but after Luxotica bought them I'm going to steer clear as they, in my opinion, ruined Oakley.

Thanks! I hear nothing bad about Maui Jims. I liked Costa too, but after Luxotica bought them I'm going to steer clear as they, in my opinion, ruined Oakley.
Lux has almost completely destroyed Costa in about 2 years time. Many bought costa for the ‘lifetime’ warranty, once Lux started controlling the shots looks like it was for the ‘lifetime’ of Costa, not your lifetime 😜.

Lux has almost completely destroyed Costa in about 2 years time. Many bought costa for the ‘lifetime’ warranty, once Lux started controlling the shots looks like it was for the ‘lifetime’ of Costa, not your lifetime 😜.
Indeed. I do keep buying Oakley due to the Oakley SI discounts though.

How are the Blue Hawaii and Maui Green lenses? I want a pair of Maui Jims, but hate the gradient lenses some models have.

hi,
so Maui Jim.

MauiBrilliant is their state of the art lens material - almost the optics of the STG - ABBE 56
MauiPure is their common lens material - impact resistant but not so good optics - ABBE 52
MauiSTG - Super Thin Glass - the best optics ABBE 58

VLT are measured by me looking at the exposure modification (same ISO) of the ProCamera iPhone app with and without lens.
of course are aproximative.

from the base lenses, I do not own:
Neutral Grey
HCL bronze
(high contrast lens)
Maui rose
I own only the HT lens presented below.

I own:
Blue Hawaii - solid blue mirror on a Neutral Grey lens -- ( VLT 11-17% depending on the lens material)
MauiGreen - solid green mirror on Neutral Gray lens. (VLT 14%)
HT lens - High Transmission green lens (VLT 25%)
Hawaii Lava - solid red/orange mirror on a HCL Bronze lens (VLT 15%)
MauiSunrise is based on Maui rose (VLT 12%)

Blue Hawaii - based on Neutral Grey with solid Blue mirror
math tell you that blue mirror complementary color is orange so the tint will be amber/bronze

MauiPure has indeed this amber/bronze (VLT measured by me 17%) tint
MauiBrilliant is greenish with a measured VLT 11% - this is more near to the advertised 11% of the Gray lens

up is Kumu with MauiBrilliant lens Blue Mirror (Blue Hawaii)
down is Ho'okipa with MauiPure lens Blue Mirror (Blue Hawaii)

IMG_2823.jpeg

as you can see the MauiBrilliant lens has a greenish tint witch I like more that the amber-greenish of the MauiPure

tempImageIxY6vI.png

Ho'okipa MauiPure Blue Hawaii

IMG_2423.jpeg

Kumu with MauiBrilliant :

IMG_2821.jpeg

MauiGreen - solid green mirror on a Neutral Grey base lens
math say the complementary of the green is red so the tint should be a pink-purple

this is true for the Shoal with MauiSTG super thin glass lenses

Shoal with MauiSTG MauiGreen - VLT measured by me 14%

IMG_2415.jpeg

indeed the tint is a very pleasant purple tint

IMG_2829.jpeg

HT lens - is a green base with a higher VLT (measured by me 25%)

Makoa with MauiSTG glass lens HT with bi-gradient slight mirror applied

IMG_2795.jpeg

and the tint is green

IMG_2830.jpeg

Hawaii Lava -- red* solid mirror on a HCL bronze lens (High Contrast Lens)

*the mirror is more orange on the top and red on the bottom
the math will give a blue top and red bottom tint - in reality are shifted to green-bronze

I kinda like it because is fine to see the sky on green and the road on bronze...

RedSands with MauiBrilliant Hawaii Lava - VLT measured by me 15%

tint is green on the top and amber/bronze on the bottom

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2831.jpeg

MauiSunrise - red-plum solid mirror on a Maui rose base lens

Mavericks (readers) with MauiBrilliant MauiSunrise lens - measured VLT 12%

because of the red-plum mirror the tint is shifted from rose to a brownish rose

IMG_2820.jpeg

IMG_2832.jpeg

hope this helps,
have a good one,
robert

tempImagenppkCC.png

hi,
so Maui Jim.

MauiBrilliant is their state of the art lens material - almost the optics of the STG - ABBE 56
MauiPure is their common lens material - impact resistant but not so good optics - ABBE 52
MauiSTG - Super Thin Glass - the best optics ABBE 58

VLT are measured by me looking at the exposure modification (same ISO) of the ProCamera iPhone app with and without lens.
of course are aproximative.

from the base lenses, I do not own:
Neutral Grey
HCL bronze
(high contrast lens)
Maui rose
I own only the HT lens presented below.

I own:
Blue Hawaii - solid blue mirror on a Neutral Grey lens -- ( VLT 11-17% depending on the lens material)
MauiGreen - solid green mirror on Neutral Gray lens. (VLT 14%)
HT lens - High Transmission green lens (VLT 25%)
Hawaii Lava - solid red/orange mirror on a HCL Bronze lens (VLT 15%)
MauiSunrise is based on Maui rose (VLT 12%)

Blue Hawaii - based on Neutral Grey with solid Blue mirror
math tell you that blue mirror complementary color is orange so the tint will be amber/bronze

MauiPure has indeed this amber/bronze (VLT measured by me 17%) tint
MauiBrilliant is greenish with a measured VLT 11% - this is more near to the advertised 11% of the Gray lens

up is Kumu with MauiBrilliant lens Blue Mirror (Blue Hawaii)
down is Ho'okipa with MauiPure lens Blue Mirror (Blue Hawaii)

View attachment 900720

as you can see the MauiBrilliant lens has a greenish tint witch I like more that the amber-greenish of the MauiPure

View attachment 900714

Ho'okipa MauiPure Blue Hawaii

View attachment 900721

Kumu with MauiBrilliant :

View attachment 900722

MauiGreen - solid green mirror on a Neutral Grey base lens
math say the complementary of the green is red so the tint should be a pink-purple

this is true for the Shoal with MauiSTG super thin glass lenses

Shoal with MauiSTG MauiGreen - VLT measured by me 14%

View attachment 900724

indeed the tint is a very pleasant purple tint

View attachment 900725

HT lens - is a green base with a higher VLT (measured by me 25%)

Makoa with MauiSTG glass lens HT with bi-gradient slight mirror applied

View attachment 900726

and the tint is green

View attachment 900727

Hawaii Lava -- red* solid mirror on a HCL bronze lens (High Contrast Lens)

*the mirror is more orange on the top and red on the bottom
the math will give a blue top and red bottom tint - in reality are shifted to green-bronze

I kinda like it because is fine to see the sky on green and the road on bronze...

RedSands with MauiBrilliant Hawaii Lava - VLT measured by me 15%

tint is green on the top and amber/bronze on the bottom

View attachment 900732

View attachment 900733

MauiSunrise - red-plum solid mirror on a Maui rose base lens

Mavericks (readers) with MauiBrilliant MauiSunrise lens - measured VLT 12%

because of the red-plum mirror the tint is shifted from rose to a brownish rose

View attachment 900736

View attachment 900737

hope this helps,
have a good one,
robert

View attachment 900715
wow...excellent thank you. I like mj alot...and have the southern cross in maui green and alenuihaha in blue hawaii..I like them both..i have the rose lens in a diff one and nuetral grey as well as the bromze htc lens and like them all.....i am interested in the sunrise but have questions..I also have the lava lens and its mirror is heavy compared to the blue hawaii.

1 - the maui blue hawaii seems more a flash mirror so can see eyes thru at various angles and the green seems to me a more mirrored lens so cant see eyes thru like the blue hawaii...do you get this too?

2- is the sunrise lens darker to you then the hawaii or the green mirror? and is the mirror on the sunrise heavier then the hawaii blue?

Back