• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Max Fearlight Wire Sub Zero - CUSTOM BUILD!

PM sent about some scrap lenses.

A big shoutout to Rustpot, who has kindly donated an Mframe nosepiece, as well as two pairs of Mframe lenses (one with hook broken and one thats scratched) to firstly practice my lens cutting on, and perhaps even use the other one for an actual final lens!

Ive said before, and i'll say again, Rustie has been great to deal with outside of this project, with 1 past transaction and another in the works, all very pleasant. One of the forum's solid members, highly recommended!

I never throw anything away, well anything Oakley related anyway.

haha me too. which is why im a little amazed that noone has any broken subzeros/zeros to let go.. seeing as how often they simply snapped in half above the nosepiece (usually due to hard use/abuse though).

I don't like the Zero, I'm just technically interested. Nice project :cool:
What kind of wire are you using?
Where are the original welding points?
How do you want to solder the frame?

hey thanks for looking. the zeros are great! a true piece of history and attest to the creativity of the brand we all love.

wire, im using a hardware grade steel wire. this had some memory to it, an more importantly, strength. i believe it is a 1.5mm dia.

the original weld points, are basically where you have indicated in your picture. i intend to tin solder by hand for the final piece, however, for the test fit i will use contact gel superglue (will see if it works at all..). also notice the parts that attach to the frame? in the subzero i am still unsure wether this was metal or plastic (production pieces use plastic). if its plastic i will use glue them to the orbitals, otherwise i will solder as well. i feel like using metal but that would wear down the frame catch over time if i make the removable lens design like i intend to. most likely i will cut some plastic from either spare lens material or similar. it can be bead blasted to match the matte surface of production zeros if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
kudos to u my friend for an awesome project!! :smile: hopefully all goes well and just cant wait for the result!

thank you!

heres an update guys! the full front frame is complete! it took a couple hours to make a perfect copy of the first orbital, and the upper nosebridge is still wrong, need to rework it to the correct curve.. then its just fitting and spare parts!

dcff012a-c44e-9a5a.jpg

compared to original diagram..
dcff0134-c986-939f.jpg

Attachments

• dcff012a-c44e-9a5a.jpg
    dcff012a-c44e-9a5a.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 283
  • dcff0134-c986-939f.jpg
    dcff0134-c986-939f.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 239
Very good craftsmanship and technically well done :rockon:

thanks for the compliments guys!

How does the lens stay in the wire frame? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's usually a groove cut into the wire to hold the lens.

haha easy- ill reverse it.. cut a groove in the edge of the lens. this is similar to what they did for old aviator designs.. :)

this will also "hide" the wire abit, and make em look more "zero" ish