• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Brian24Xmetal

Oakley Enthusiast
Before you form a mob and try to lynch me....I was wondering if anyone knows if a jeweler would be able to melt down a BROKEN pair of Metals (which I haven't picked up yet, and know it will be very hard to find based on the indestructibility of these, but maybe I could get parts here and there) and make a wedding band? I am getting married in the summer...

Just wondering if anyone has experience with metal working....

I have seen the Xmetal video and am highly doubting most would be able to, based on how hard it is to work with that particular titanium alloy. I know titanium rings are cheap to buy, but to have one actually made of X Metal would be amazing!!

Thanks!!

They melt. I lost all of mine in a house fire. Nothing but a gray puddle left. Just gotta find the right person to do it.

It all depends on what kind of jewelry they make. If they have stock wire or bar, they might do mostly engraving and silver solder for joints with a small amount of machining. Any sizing they do may be a combination of forging and using similar finish metals like nickel for a setting.

The vast majority of jewelers selling titanium jewelry aren't going to be casting them on site, that'd just be ridiculous and reduce the insane margins they have on items like that. Case and point, when I bought a tungsten carbide ring a few years ago the dealer told me they'd size me and have the ring ready for me in a couple days, insinuating that they'd be making it in house. When I called their bluff and asked if they'd have to melt the ring down to resize it if it was wrong they hemmed and hawed around until finally admitting that they had to order the rings because they had no way to handle metals with melting points much higher than gold or silver.

Moral of the story being that even experienced jewelers make their living on their ability to manipulate very soft metals, and VERY few will have the knowledge or know how to even attempt something like cast titanium (alloy or otherwise), because that just isn't part of the job they do.

ok I know absolutly nothing about this topic, but just wondering if a blacksmith would be a good person to consult with???

Back