• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

oakleybezerk's "O" museum

How does the hydrodip adhere to the glasses compared to create or other finishes? Do you think it will hold up or is it more for display purposes?

Glasses look great!!

How does the hydrodip adhere to the glasses compared to create or other finishes? Do you think it will hold up or is it more for display purposes?
The dip didn't hold up so well around the orbital edges when trying to get the lenses back in, but to be honest, I didn't practice any finesse when putting them in. The dip has been cleared with an automotive clear coat which should hold up relatively well to daily wearing. I would have preferred a cerekote clear, but that is not readily available this side.
I did these frame purely for display purposes, but there are members who have had frames dipped and are wearing them.

Last edited:
The dip didn't hold up so well around the orbital edges when trying to get the lenses back in, but to be honest, I didn't practice any finesse when putting them in. The dip has been cleared with an automotive clear coat which should hold up relatively well to daily wearing. I would have preferred a cerekote clear, but that is not readily available this side.
I did these frame purely for display purposes, but there are members who have had frames dipped and are wearing them.
Did you do these my buddy. I've been dipping myself. The cera clears are too expensive to get here as well. Odd because any of the regular cerakotes I can buy.. autos are just as good anyway.. wait till you see the foils I got coming

Did you do these my buddy. I've been dipping myself. The cera clears are too expensive to get here as well. Odd because any of the regular cerakotes I can buy.. autos are just as good anyway.. wait till you see the foils I got coming
I didn't dip these myself. There's a bloke down the road from me who has tank, the chemicals and the patience, so I let him take care of it.
Busy scouting online at the moment to see which foils I'll be purchasing to dip the next batch of frames. The problem is there are so many cool ones, that I could ultimately end up with a collection of just hydro dipped sunnies.

Had a couple of frames lying around so I figured I check out this hydrodipping thing and see what the results come out like... not too shabby if I do say so myself.
Just gotta get some lenses for this pair of Slivers
View attachment 347266

View attachment 347267

View attachment 347265

Damn, Shannon! EXCELLENT choice of dips! The first and second pair (I was going to call them newsprint but it looks like license plates?) are my favorites of those, but I like the whole lot!

:drinks:

The first and second pair (I was going to call them newsprint but it looks like license plates?) are my favorites of those, but I like the whole lot!
Thanks Doug, I have a couple more I'll be doing and there is a newsprint in the mix. The numberplate film I used was this one:
LICENSE_PLATES.jpg

and this is one of the next ones to be dipped:
Ransom Note.jpg

Thanks Doug, I have a couple more I'll be doing and there is a newsprint in the mix. The numberplate film I used was this one:
View attachment 348987
and this is one of the next ones to be dipped:
View attachment 348993

Seriously cool. I like the plates because they're used and bent a bit and rusty...not pristine.

And the newsprint you definitely have to do! Call it "Ransom Note Holbrooks"!!

Back