• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Minimum requirements to access the exchange

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
Here's an idea...

The 15 posts / two weeks minimum requirement to access the exchange is to help discourage shysters and give new members a chance to get known by the rest of us before conducting business, right?

And some play the game as designed. While others just rattle off 15 "Welcome" or "cool" or whatever posts to get around the system. And they can do it, too, because the only way to stop it is for a mod to manually monitor and intervene, and y'all got enough to do already.

So how about this: instead of being 15 posts, how about 15 likes? Or 10, or even 5?

That would force the newbies to actually interact, posting stuff that earns likes. And then it's the fellow forum members effectively enforcing the policy, since it's they who give the likes; no mod intervention required.

It's not foolproof, but I think it'd be more effective than simply a post minimum.

Yes?

Or how about, to show they're mixing it up, 5 posts, 5 likes and 5 replies? For 15 likes, the savvy will suss that that just means sticking your face on the WAYWT thread twice and might feel compelled to do so. Honestly, that one thread skews the likes system so much.

Yeah, I said it wasn't foolproof, but at the same time it shouldn't be too complicated.

But interesting idea - by five replies, do you mean make five replies or receive five replies?

I thought receive would be better, else we're just talking posts again. Shows they're posting something worthy of response (or that they posted in Intros and the usual crowd gave them an emoji response, again not foolproof).

Maybe 5:5:5 or 15 of any of posts, likes or replies received but then we're maybe making it tougher to track.

I thought receive would be better, else we're just talking posts again. Shows they're posting something worthy of response (or that they posted in Intros and the usual crowd gave them an emoji response, again not foolproof).

Maybe 5:5:5 or 15 of any of posts, likes or replies received but then we're maybe making it tougher to track.

Exactly - I would assume the current db structure isn't set up with a field to flag whether a post is original or a reply to another post. It could probably be discerned with the proper query for text in the post content (i.e. the word "QUOTE") but then there's also the automation to allow access once conditions are met, adds more load...

Simply switching from minimum posts to minimum likes would have the most improvement with the least change, IMO...

Not to bash the system but it is so easy to abuse a couple of "cool glasses" & "those are sweet" comments quickly put you past the required quota, I think a combination of what both have suggested is probably the way forward .
The 5:5:5 theory seems to be the way to filter thru the rapid WAYWT posts to meet requirements.

The thing about the WOAYWT thread like-whoring is, as Carrera mentioned, it takes a savvy newbie to figure that out. And a selfie post there is a form of meaningful contribution, and at least lets us know what they look like...

Remember, many newbies will skip reading the rules, bump dead threads, post in wrong sections, solicit items WTS or WTB in discussion threads, and / or post the same question in multiple places. Those also tend to be the ones who post 15 meaningless posts in a row to get exchange access, once they figure out that's what's needed.

Really, someone good enough to first get the lay of the land and figure out how to get a batch of likes quickly, I welcome them... (along with our new insect overlords)

And there'd still be the two week minimum restriction.

Keep it simple.

Good idea about 5-5-5.
"- Have at least 15 useful posts" - not all newbies can post something interesting and useful for collectors with over 50 pairs and over 1000 posts.

The thing about the WOAYWT thread like-whoring is, as Carrera mentioned, it takes a savvy newbie to figure that out. And a selfie post there is a form of meaningful contribution, and at least lets us know what they look like...
Remember, many newbies will skip reading the rules, bump dead threads, post in wrong sections, solicit items WTS or WTB in discussion threads, and / or post the same question in multiple places. Those also tend to be the ones who post 15 meaningless posts in a row to get exchange access, once they figure out that's what's needed.
That's true. A year ago I did almost the same thing (posting in intro section/woaywt/waitin for 15 days), but I read the rules)
16826498204_4b11bf1d3b_o_d.jpg

Here's an idea...

The 15 posts / two weeks minimum requirement to access the exchange is to help discourage shysters and give new members a chance to get known by the rest of us before conducting business, right?

And some play the game as designed. While others just rattle off 15 "Welcome" or "cool" or whatever posts to get around the system. And they can do it, too, because the only way to stop it is for a mod to manually monitor and intervene, and y'all got enough to do already.

So how about this: instead of being 15 posts, how about 15 likes? Or 10, or even 5?

That would force the newbies to actually interact, posting stuff that earns likes. And then it's the fellow forum members effectively enforcing the policy, since it's they who give the likes; no mod intervention required.

It's not foolproof, but I think it'd be more effective than simply a post minimum.

Yes?
Well Kronin, seen as you're a newbie, you've got a few more likes to go before you are eligible for the exchange

Latest Posts

Back