• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Minute Machine rubber box restore - any ideas?

xmetal

Oakley Enthusiast
While moving things in my display around today I noted that the black rubberized box for the minute machine is kind of disintegrating... the rubber surface is sticky and when I picked it up, my thumbprint visibly embedded in the surface.

Has anyone run into this? I imagine that the rubber is simply decomposing due to age but if there is some existing solution to help clean and restore that type of surface I'd love to know. Didn't find much in searching around. I am never going to sell the watch, so I guess I could try to strip it and repaint or something...

HI Ive restored one no need for repainting you can use GOO GONE or 3M prep solvent adhesive remover use paper towels or shop disposable shop rag! Those will loosen the sticky rubber and remove it and leave you with a nice black plastic surface but it takes patience and bit of rubbing!

HI Ive restored one no need for repainting you can use GOO GONE or 3M prep solvent adhesive remover use paper towels or shop disposable shop rag! Those will loosen the sticky rubber and remove it and leave you with a nice black plastic surface but it takes patience and bit of rubbing!
Goo Gone was one of my thoughts, I will definitely give that a try. I wasn't sure what was underneath that rubber material, great to know it's decent looking plastic! Much appreciated feedback!

Back