• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

minute machine trouble

However you might want to consider sending it in near the end of your warranty. Or if you are worried about it getting damaged you could send it to a Member that lives near HQ and have them walk it in then ship it back to you.
That Oakley warranty pretty much means nothing to me. 4 years ago i sent a Julie in for a tuneup. Still havent gotten it back. And I know for a fact it wasnt a USPS fukkup. If anything happens to that watch, in or out of warranty, it aint going there to get fixed, that i can promise you.

That Oakley warranty pretty much means nothing to me. 4 years ago i sent a Julie in for a tuneup. Still havent gotten it back. And I know for a fact it wasnt a USPS fukkup. If anything happens to that watch, in or out of warranty, it aint going there to get fixed, that i can promise you.

I can understand that.

That is very interesting.
The way it moves suggests (in my humble opinion) the "play" is in the movement, not the rivet on the hand as I thought in my previous post.

Without seeing it in person I'm stuck just speculating.
I found a Tech Guide for the Ronda 5040 B..

I was hoping to see a "friction spring" for the chronograph wheel #3136.143. A weak friction spring would have explained the play. However no friction spring found..

As you can see in the link below, this movement is very simple, not much to go wrong, so I still think if you can live with the play, your watch should be fine..

http://www.ronda.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Products/TA_BA/ta/ta5040.B-Me.pdf

That is very interesting.
The way it moves suggests (in my humble opinion) the "play" is in the movement, not the rivet on the hand as I thought in my previous post.

Without seeing it in person I'm stuck just speculating.
I found a Tech Guide for the Ronda 5040 B..

I was hoping to see a "friction spring" for the chronograph wheel #3136.143. A weak friction spring would have explained the play. However no friction spring found..

As you can see in the link below, this movement is very simple, not much to go wrong, so I still think if you can live with the play, your watch should be fine..

http://www.ronda.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Products/TA_BA/ta/ta5040.B-Me.pdf
How much does it usually cost to replace a movement like this?

Looks like backlash in the gears that drive the chronometer second hand. If it was me I would have it fixed. Oakley would not repair this, they would replace the movement. Just an offer, If you sent it to me with receipt and shipping both ways I could take it to HQ. Takes about 15 mins.
I appreciate the offer. I can live with it for now, if it isnt going to hurt the watch. Next time i am out that way I will have them do that.

Looks like a new movement can be bought for a little over $100.

Then just the labor to switch it out. I'm guessing another $100 for that.
Sounds good. I think i will live with it. Worst case scenario, it takes a dump out of warranty and Im out $2-300 to fix it. Thanks everyone for your help!

Back