• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

MM screws

I really can't see anything in the picture but they shouldn't bend. I'd think it would take a decent amount of force over an extended period of time to bend one.

Some is the red cover for the screw threads, but some others do have rust. I was able to wash most of it away, but I'm eorried the regualr use (sweat and skin oils) will cause a build up again

Pick up some removable thread lock, so you don't have to tighten them as much. I've read the heads of the pins have broken off on people trying to torque them down.

I definitely have some bent screws here, not super bent, but there's an angle there. I just tried reinstalling them with my extra link and man, it took a while to get in and the link does not move freely... I guess I'm lucky I don't need it, but it is quite awful to find I have 3-4 bent screws

I am pretty sure they are stainless. As to the grade of stainless I am unsure. If they were titanium you'd probably never get them out once installed. Titanium fastener on titanium part isn't a good idea can gall the threads and leave it pretty much stuck forever. As for the rust I've seen it before when taking some apart either it's a poor grade of stainless that still corrodes easily or maybe they didn't passivate them after machining and left behind some contaminates that caused the corrosion. Or who ever had it before sweated some serious funk. Also I was just working on a mm and it had two completely sheared off pins on the link bolts. Each was in a different position so someone must have gotten very cross with it and sheared off a set in one go then swapped them into different links.

The screws are not stainless and no that's not rust. The screws literally cannot rust...drum roll please... because they are TITANIUM!

I've heat anodized a bunch of those screws. They're Titanium.

The screws are not stainless and no that's not rust. The screws literally cannot rust...drum roll please... because they are TITANIUM!

I've heat anodized a bunch of those screws. They're Titanium.

I just checked a screw they're not titanium they don't anodize electrically like how I do the x metals. The screw just makes a bunch of bubbles in the anodizing bath just like stainless does. They didn't change color at all. Stainless will heat anodize to a couple colors tho but it doesn't anodize in a bath with voltage applied like titanium does.

Latest Posts

Back