• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mod: Convert Gloss Flak Frame To Matte

Ag3ntX

Oakley Beginner
Hawaii
I had to get the asian fit Flak jacket as it fit way better. The only problem is that the Flak in Asian fit does not come in matte black. So I got the gloss black and now am looking for a way to mod it to matte. Any ideas aside from sanding with ultra fine grit?

Thanks

And weeeeeeeelcooooooooome to the foruuuuuuuuuuuuuum! Have you heard of a nice fine chap that runs around by the name of Dr. Chop?

dr. Chop is the best.
thanks brutha...

Krylon is like putting Walleva lenses in an Oakley...Have fun...just my .02 cents. If you want a better matte clear and are on a budget, go to a hobby store and get yourself some Tamiya rattle can paint. Still won't be great, but kicks the crap outta Krylon. Or send em to me and I will do it reasonably if you are stateside...If not, I am sure there are guys around who can do it in your area.There is still a process, and you will still need to prep your frame, which is why I say send em to me or a local guy if you aren't in the US...The prep materials alone would cost the average guy literally $35-$40, and I won't charge that much just to flatten them

TS80
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln/72/TS-chart.pdf

thanks brutha...

Krylon is like putting Walleva lenses in an Oakley...Have fun...just my .02 cents. If you want a better matte clear and are on a budget, go to a hobby store and get yourself some Tamiya rattle can paint. Still won't be great, but kicks the crap outta Krylon. Or send em to me and I will do it reasonably if you are stateside...If not, I am sure there are guys around who can do it in your area.There is still a process, and you will still need to prep your frame, which is why I say send em to me or a local guy if you aren't in the US...The prep materials alone would cost the average guy literally $35-$40, and I won't charge that much just to flatten them

TS80
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/ln/72/TS-chart.pdf

Thanks for the tips on Tamiya, Dr Chop. I live in Hawaii and may have to do some serious research on local distributors/retailers here to pick up a can. I have an pair of old Canteens which the matte coating is peeling off the nose bridge area. I might "fingernail" the rest off & test on that. What are your rates for just the prep and doing the Matte? Thanks!

Latest Posts

Back