• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

- Modding "Counter Top Display" For Light ...

Zeke

- The Retarded Battle Continues ...
Anybody ever mod a metal-topped case like a Counter Top Display for the installation of a lighting fixture?

Basically in my mind I am picturing using a hole saw into the aluminum top ... obviously dead center ... & mounting a light flush from the inside, up.

I am thinking a simple, white/clear LED is fine ... no need for a fixture that has multiple colors, ... but I would like to be able to dim it ... I can build a dimmer into the wiring, that is simple.

Anything anyone has done? Can show? Can offer for lighting ideas? What size light would be enough ... I do not need something obnoxiously bright, ...

Thank you, ...

You might want to consider a simple strip LED on the front edge. Inexpensive and no cutting or risk to a classic case.

I bought a LED strip kit for my Cube ... from Ikea ... still have yet to put it in.

I will add, I was real disappointed to find out that the top of the Counter Top Display is metal, ... & basically has no top ... is sunken in a few inches ... so I know I am going to have to make a "top" for it ... just my OCD.

Love ya, @Lexkempo , but I just cannot do the stick up puck lights ... just can't. Will it do the job well? Yes, ... but ...

Last edited:
@Zeke I did mine a couple of years ago. Used the ikea strip LED kit. Cut 2 rectangular slots in the top with a jigsaw, a couple of blobs of glue from a glue gun to hold them in place.

Ran the cables down one of the corners and mounted the power supply under the bottom with sticky pads. Small hole in the back for the power cable that and an inline on/off switch.

Looked good and had plenty of light, from the outside you couldn't tell it had been messed with.

I bought the following from Lowes today. I could have purchase a similar setup from IKEA cheaper......but didn't want to wait.
image.jpeg

I had to drill a hole on top of each corner to run the wire through. The before and after pic s below.
BEFORE:
image.png

AFTER:
image.png

Mine is not a counter top......but just another idea for you.....good luck!

I bought the following from Lowes today. I could have purchase a similar setup from IKEA cheaper......but didn't want to wait.
View attachment 201819
I had to drill a hole on top of each corner to run the wire through. The before and after pic s below.
BEFORE:
View attachment 201820
AFTER:
View attachment 201821
Mine is not a counter top......but just another idea for you.....good luck!
Are those remote controlled lights, or do they have to be turned on by switch or plugging in each time? Timer?

Are there any battery-operated lights people would recommend for those of us less mechanically-able? Specific links are always helpful.

Latest Posts

Back