• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mondays are always interesting.

In my mind it's an area government should have no control over. You enter a contract for employment you should be bound by the terms of that contract, regardless of whether it stipulates physical characteristics or performance, what have you.

I have an IT contract with a charter school, and my kid goes to this school. I actually love it. Sounds like its different than your setup. Everyone here loves me and I kinda call the shots.
I have a contract with a Catholic School also and that Gawd Damn place is a nightmare.

If I were to get kidnapped though, no one would have any idea what to do. Kinda bad for them to let you go without a debrief.

The problem with Charters, at least here, is that they are more worried about the salary of the administration than providing the schools with what they need. The CEO has $185K salary and 2 of the 4 schools have a D or F letter grade. The CFO makes 110K and can't even keep the school's budgets right. Meanwhile the classrooms have computers from 2006, ipads they cant gets apps on, Chromebooks that the teachers haven't been trained how to use, smart boards they won't have fixed, and I won't even get started on the infrastructure. It's a nightmare.

Where I'm going is a Catholic School with only one school and an entire IT team. 4 people for one school instead of 1 person for 4 schools. When I walked the school, I saw that all their smart boards work, they have and apple tv in every room connected to the projector, iMacs in every room, 2 iMac labs, a production studio, and every student has a macbook pro. I think they have several carts of iPads too. I'm very excited to work in a functional school again.

The problem with Charters, at least here, is that they are more worried about the salary of the administration than providing the schools with what they need. The CEO has $185K salary and 2 of the 4 schools have a D or F letter grade. The CFO makes 110K and can't even keep the school's budgets right. Meanwhile the classrooms have computers from 2006, ipads they cant gets apps on, Chromebooks that the teachers haven't been trained how to use, smart boards they won't have fixed, and I won't even get started on the infrastructure. It's a nightmare.

Where I'm going is a Catholic School with only one school and an entire IT team. 4 people for one school instead of 1 person for 4 schools. When I walked the school, I saw that all their smart boards work, they have and apple tv in every room connected to the projector, iMacs in every room, 2 iMac labs, a production studio, and every student has a macbook pro. I think they have several carts of iPads too. I'm very excited to work in a functional school again.
It's gonna be a good thing to be excited about your job. Very well done. :)

Gee, in my day we had chalkboard, paper, and pencil.

High-tech was an overhead projector for transparencies and a film projector, the kind that uses reels. One teacher was really high-tech with a VCR.

Yea not our school. I came on board with open funding to get what we need. All new, all my design all virtual blah blah. Principal makes around 50k. Hell my it contract is one of better paid people. We are bound by public school rules, but our finance director really knows how to go after grants and special money.
Glad to hear you found a better gig.
The catholic school I do is also all virtual but its private money. Nuns and ****. Weird

Back