• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

More Backorder BS

I saw a couple of threads about people that have ordered somewhat recently and got the backorder message a few days later. I ordered custom Fuel Cells, which I was very excited about, then decided to buy the Square O Graphite Hard Case separately two days later. The day after I ordered the case I got an email saying "The following component(s) are showing as out of stock, so there will be a delay in the build time until these parts become available. " then just listing OCP Fuel Cell. Then I went to check my order status on the website, the sunglasses say "In Process" and the CASE say backorder... So they took money for TWO products they knew they didn't have in stock and didn't tell me anything about them not having it when I paid them a fairly significant amount of money? That's pretty bad business. I love Oakley products, but I've read/heard some nightmare stories about their customer service. I've also read that it could be anywhere from one day to THREE MONTHS before my products are even shipped. If their demand exceeds their supply and they're doing all they can to make more to meet the demand, that's understandable. But at the VERY LEAST put some information on the website about which products are backordered and/or out of stock so people can make a decision before giving Oakley money for essentially nothing, or just not be able to order something that the company does not have. If this is a recurring problem, which it seems to be, then why don't they expand so they can meet their high demand? It would only make sense to make more products so you can sell more products and make more money. I don't understand why it's so difficult. I'll be extremely pissed if I have to wait until November or December until I get the sunglasses and case I already paid for...

I'm in the same boat as you are with the custom Fuel Cell but I don't think they charge your card until it's ready to ship so at least they haven't technically taken the money yet. At the same time, it is rather upsetting that I'll never know when my card will be charged and have to adjust my budget accordingly.

I certainly understand your point about them not updating their website. This is the second time I've ordered something that was supposedly available only for them to send me an auto response saying it's been sold out or they don't have the parts.

Not entirely sure why they keep doing this as it does get frustrating after a while.

I'm in the same boat as you are with the custom Fuel Cell but I don't think they charge your card until it's ready to ship so at least they haven't technically taken the money yet. At the same time, it is rather upsetting that I'll never know when my card will be charged and have to adjust my budget accordingly.

I certainly understand your point about them not updating their website. This is the second time I've ordered something that was supposedly available only for them to send me an auto response saying it's been sold out or they don't have the parts.

Not entirely sure why they keep doing this as it does get frustrating after a while.

It doesn't make sense to keep allowing people to purchase items they don't have in stock. If their problem is demand exceeding supply, then why do they keep those products up on their site for purchase saying it's in stock? They just keep falling further and further behind on orders. That might even be a reason (only speculating) why it takes so long sometimes for backorder. For a company that I'm sure is very profitable, I would expect better service.

It doesn't make sense to keep allowing people to purchase items they don't have in stock. If their problem is demand exceeding supply, then why do they keep those products up on their site for purchase saying it's in stock? They just keep falling further and further behind on orders. That might even be a reason (only speculating) why it takes so long sometimes for backorder. For a company that I'm sure is very profitable, I would expect better service.
It may very well be that the department that handles the website don't communicate enough with the sales department. It's a problem that seems to happen more often than not when it comes to online sales, unless online sales is the main outlet of selling the products. While I don't know what percentage makes up their online sales, it's probably safe to say that the majority of their sales still comes from brick and mortar stores. Hence the website plays second fiddle when it comes to priorities.

What kinda irks me is that the custom Fuel Cell I want can only be built online so I'm completely at the mercy of their online practices.

It may very well be that the department that handles the website don't communicate enough with the sales department. It's a problem that seems to happen more often than not when it comes to online sales, unless online sales is the main outlet of selling the products. While I don't know what percentage makes up their online sales, it's probably safe to say that the majority of their sales still comes from brick and mortar stores. Hence the website plays second fiddle when it comes to priorities.

What kinda irks me is that the custom Fuel Cell I want can only be built online so I'm completely at the mercy of their online practices.

Same here. When I went into an Oakley store, the only options for custom Fuel Cells was choice of frame color and lens. With the icon already built into the frame. With no option of custom stems. Which I'm sure is exactly what you're talking about. It's extremely frustrating. If they had just before I ordered them that it would take up to 8 weeks or whatever for them to be built, I would be less P.O.'d. Hopefully we're on the shorter side of the backorder scale and won't have to wait several months. I would also like some info from them about the case I ordered, seeing how I could still use that for the pair of Oakleys I have now while I wait for my custom pair to come. But they didn't even email me about that being backordered, the only way I know is from checking the order status. So I'm hoping that means it will be a shorter wait.

I called them today about the Fuel Cell and was told October sometime. Not holding my breath though.

The good thing is the order can be cancelled anytime if I were to change my mind.

I called them today about the Fuel Cell and was told October sometime. Not holding my breath though.

The good thing is the order can be cancelled anytime if I were to change my mind.

I guess that's not too bad if that ends up being true. But in one thread I saw, a guy was given an exact date by Oakley which came and went. So who knows. They don't seem to be too knowledgeable on their stock and when more will be available. Which is probably due to the potential lack of communication that you brought up.

I just checked the order page for Fuel Cells and if you select the grey smoke/black iridium pre-made pair, it says "Coming soon. Available on 2011-10-01." And all of the other pairs say "ships next day." At first I just thought it was the black iridium lenses that they'd run out of (that's what I got in my customs), but the white frames come with black iridium lenses. Perhaps it actually is the lenses and they just have more of the white frame ones left because they're not as popular? Either way, I'm taking this 10-1-2011 date to mean that's when mine will be shipped until they tell me otherwise.

I just checked the order page for Fuel Cells and if you select the grey smoke/black iridium pre-made pair, it says "Coming soon. Available on 2011-10-01." And all of the other pairs say "ships next day." At first I just thought it was the black iridium lenses that they'd run out of (that's what I got in my customs), but the white frames come with black iridium lenses. Perhaps it actually is the lenses and they just have more of the white frame ones left because they're not as popular? Either way, I'm taking this 10-1-2011 date to mean that's when mine will be shipped until they tell me otherwise.

Well, the Grey Smoke frame colorway is a NEW release for October, that wasn't previously available before for the fuel cell. Same with the grey smoke holbrook, black plaid gascan, polished black/grey eyepatch2.

Latest Posts

Back