• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Most valuable X-Metals?

Around the 97-98 time frame there was a pool store next to my grandmothers house that I used to visit often; they just happened to be an O dealer. Since I was there often, I got to know most of the staff including the manager. While there, I often looked at their display cases of O's. One day I went in and they had a couple pairs of R1's, but at that point, I couldn't afford them. About a year later I was there again, this time the manager asked me if I still wanted them and of course I said "hell ya". He gave them to me at cost because he said he couldn't sell them. A few years after that, I happened to be wearing my R1's and stumbled upon an O store. One of the salesman and I started talking and he asked me where and when I bought them. We chatted for about an hour; all about O that is and about the R1's. He told me I should put them away because they'd be a collectors item one day. They do come out every now and again, but I think they're the best part of my collection! :dance2:

Hmmm...that's tough; I don't think I have a pair that really stands WAY out and apart from the crowd right now. Which isn't bad- I love all my pieces equally.

Honestly if I had to like choose a "grail" type piece I'd probably say re-acquire a 24K Juliet and 24K Polarized cut for them...although I've also flirted with having a Polished Juliet maybe done custom with 24K finish on the arms and nosebridge and 24K lenses- that would be cheaper.
I have to say that IH and the X-Man have some pretty cool stuff going on. I wonder how long it will be before their creations become as/more desirable than the originals.

The pics on the anodizing thread below are awesome.
Anodizing X-Metals by XMC optics | Page 15 | Oakley Forum
I am waiting for my creations to arrive ;)

Around the 97-98 time frame there was a pool store next to my grandmothers house that I used to visit often; they just happened to be an O dealer. Since I was there often, I got to know most of the staff including the manager. While there, I often looked at their display cases of O's. One day I went in and they had a couple pairs of R1's, but at that point, I couldn't afford them. About a year later I was there again, this time the manager asked me if I still wanted them and of course I said "hell ya". He gave them to me at cost because he said he couldn't sell them. A few years after that, I happened to be wearing my R1's and stumbled upon an O store. One of the salesman and I started talking and he asked me where and when I bought them. We chatted for about an hour; all about O that is and about the R1's. He told me I should put them away because they'd be a collectors item one day. They do come out every now and again, but I think they're the best part of my collection! :dance2:

A lot of collectible things start off that way. Guitars, cars, watches... They are radical, ahead of their time, more expensive than most of the products in the market, a bit impractical, and sold in very limited quantities. When I first saw these things at a Sunglass Hut as a college student, I spent some of my leftover college fund money on a pair of R1s and Juliets. Come 15 years later and I still have them. Wear them every sunny day and they still turn heads. IMHO a timeless design and things of beauty. The rubber seems to go on my Juliets quite often, but IMHO they should be shown off and worn in public. I've surfed, rock climbed, cycled, snowboarded, and even did rollovers on a kayak with those on and they are totally fine. I would wear one of those sunglass leash thingies though:) But yeah, they can take a beating:)

Hmmm there are a bunch but really depends how you look at it. Value depends on how you price your item some might value yours lower, some might value yours higher. Example a bnib xx plasma i value and willing to pay for a pair for 700-750 but some value theirs for 1k same with r2 fire release 700-750 but some value theirs at 1k. An ichiro emerald with match box serials i value this at 800-950 maybe higher as its a japan only limited release and reg release has no serials so its a rare gem and they might say im stupid or overpricing them. So value is always subjective. So i think we should think most collectable not valueble.

Last edited:
I have to say that IH and the X-Man have some pretty cool stuff going on. I wonder how long it will be before their creations become as/more desirable than the originals.

The pics on the anodizing thread below are awesome.
Anodizing X-Metals by XMC optics | Page 15 | Oakley Forum
I am waiting for my creations to arrive ;)
Yes they are awesome pieces bro but in no way be more collectable or valueble than original pieces that are untouched in their original form even the xman and ih will agree on this one im sure.

Last Nov I tried to sell a full set XS Polished Carbon BIP and it just wouldn't shift!
Posted it at 475 and ended up selling at 375 or thereabouts. See for yourselves:
For Sale - XS Polished Carbon BIP - sold | Oakley Forum
I keep hearing about how sought after the XS has become, so have things changed even in the last 4 months??! Would that one sell for 475 nowadays?
hmmmmm i dont see it that way though bro imo xs and reg release juliets nib should be thesame in price imo ebay are overpricing xs douche bags are selling them for 650ish nobody's buying them nothing special about the xs they are not serialed skus releases same wih last gen juliets you get a case thats a bonus price wise imo should be same as reg juliets remember carbo finish is the most un popular finish if its a plasma you were selling nib then there shouldn't be a problem selling them 400-450ish.

Yes they are awesome pieces bro but in no way be more collectable or valueble than original pieces that are untouched in their original form even the xman and ih will agree on this one im sure.
This product reminds me very much of the car scene and the cult following that the likes of the Mustang, GTO, Charger...etc have achieved. Those lucky enough to have the money for an original or the foresight to have got one at the time have some truly awsome pieces. However, there are those of us that missed the boat and rely on beat-up wrecks being revived by highly talented people. These people do get a following of their own (as many a series on TV can a vouch for). A new market is born!
clear.png

Regarding IH and X-Man I am just giving them my appreciation (without being too sycophantic hopefully). As you say the BNIB may always get more attention ($$$$) due to their rarety, but there no reason to suspect that things will not evolve in time!

Why would oakley stop making this fabulous Style?

There were several factors that lead to Oakley halting production. I'm sure some of the more senior members will chime in as well, but as I understand it, a major reason for the halt in production came when the company was sold. This in combination with the danger involved in making X-Metals, and the inherent design flaw (mostly with the nose bridge) all were variable that led to the halt. If it were up to me, and probably most of the rest of the people here, they would still be produced. I would have personally loved to see an X-Metal with some switch lock technology.

Back