• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Mountain Biking: Glasses Or Goggles?

s3sunruh

Oakley Expert
Casper WY
As I'm getting into biking more, I've noticed that my radarlocks are a great all around pair, but I'm not sure if they are best suited for this particular job. So what recommendations do you guys here have for the matter? I thought about upgrading my helmet to a more rugged mountain bike helmet, so with that, do I get a pair of Oakley Goggles or just stick with what I have for glasses? Curious to see what you guys use...

Fair enough, I've just seen a few people go all out when they hit the trails, and was wondering if there was a benefit to it.

If youre going enduro, its goggles these days.
1364442288687-ebrqh8yb0r6c-500-70.jpg

On trail rides I wear VR28 Blue Ird Racing Jackets.
DH stuff I wear full face and clear goggles
On the DJ and street stuff I wear darker lenses in my hijinx

If you're getting a full helmet with a chin bar you're blocking a lot of your peripheral already.

Goggles will vent better and have less chance for fogging, and can be worked with more easily. If you've got gloves and a helmet on good luck trying to stow your shades or pop them on your head when you take a break. And if you get any mud spray from the front rider you'll have a bitch of a time cleaning the shades.

Pro for the glasses would be lenses, peripheral vision, light, and you'll get more airflow.

really depends on what kind of mountain biking. Like owl said goggles become more desirable in DH. Just dirtier and faster ride through sometimes narrow stuff.

Pretty much anywhere you're wearing a full-face helmet you'd probably prefer goggles.

As I'm getting into biking more, I've noticed that my radarlocks are a great all around pair, but I'm not sure if they are best suited for this particular job. So what recommendations do you guys here have for the matter? I thought about upgrading my helmet to a more rugged mountain bike helmet, so with that, do I get a pair of Oakley Goggles or just stick with what I have for glasses? Curious to see what you guys use...
The only way I could justify goggles would be exclusive DH riding and either lots of mud or tree branches where I could expect a lot of impacts. I have always preferred glasses that are not full framed (m-frames, half jackets, radars) for riding, especially off-road. Any reason you feel the radars might not do well?

I actually wear the radars I got from you. Out of the several different frames those work best. Put some hydrophobic solution on them and it's perfect. I feel that goggles would only work well with a full face as they are a tad bulky in comparison.

I bought a pair of Radarlocks for mountainbiking. I think it's a great set of sunglasses for the sport. I got the photochromic lens and it sure is nice when transitioning from open sunny areas to heavily dense wooded areas. I would stick with the sunglasses.

Back