• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Movement swap in Hollow Point watch

Oh God. I am an idiot.
uploadfromtaptalk1435173308338.jpg

So I emailed Chris Goodman (the fmj designer) and got a definitive answer. The hollow point and fmj are different sizes so the 7750 won't fit in the hollow point. :(

So I emailed Chris Goodman (the fmj designer) and got a definitive answer. The hollow point and fmj are different sizes so the 7750 won't fit in the hollow point. :(
With all due respect to Chris, that's a less definitive answer than some of the earlier ones! As long as a case is physically wide and deep enough to hold a movement, size isn't an issue - the Double Tap case is oversized for its movement, for example, as given away by the registers being crammed into the centre of the dial. The limiting factor is where the external parts of the mechanism meet the case and then into the internal parts. In the case of a chronograph, the crown and pushers. A simple size difference can be solved with spacers, a difference in crown height means a different stem height and mechanical incompatibility. You could laser weld new material into the holes in the case and drill new holes where they needed to be but it's a lot of effort. There is a cottage industry in recasting pocket watches as wristwatches but it's an effort and you pay for the privilege.

There is a cottage industry in recasting pocket watches as wristwatches but it's an effort and you pay for the privilege.

Amusing, considering I've read that (as I'm sure you already know) the modern wristwatch (at least as menswear) started in the 1880s by militaries to synchronize maneuvers, initially where just pocket watches strapped to the wrist...

Amusing, considering I've read that (as I'm sure you already know) the modern wristwatch (at least as menswear) started in the 1880s by militaries to synchronize maneuvers, initially where just pocket watches strapped to the wrist...
As you (almost) allude to, the wristwatch started off for women rather than men. It wasn't until the First World War that they started to really catch on though and, even then, many of the early examples were still more or less pocket watches.

Back