• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

MSHA Approved Lenses

FroggerJohn

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Hello All,

Wondering which lenses would fit the criteria below. Det Cords meet this standard, right? Are there any other Oakley lenses/frames that would work? Ballistics may be held to the same or similar standard but I'm not sure.

56/57.15004 Eye Protection
This standard requires that all persons shall wear safety glasses, goggles or face shields or other suitable protective devices when in or around an area of a mine or plant where a hazard exists which could cause injury to unprotected eyes.

Photo-gray lenses which comply with ANSI Z87.1-1979 for impact and shatter resistance and frame construction would meet the requirements of this standard. However, these lenses do not meet the requirements for radiant energy generated during electric arc welding or gas flame cutting and, therefore, are not acceptable for these uses. Additionally, their use underground or at night is not advisable because most photo-gray lenses respond too slowly to changes in light level and may not lighten rapidly enough to provide unimpaired vision when traveling from a well- lighted area to a dark area.

The only requirement of the standard is a ANSI Z87.1 rating. The verbiage related to photochromatic grey lenses, ANSI Z87.1-1979 is there to state that they are not appropriate for this use case. that section of the standard relates specifically to the use of dimming lenses and how they are not appropriate in environments with UV or IR hazards, hence the statement on welding. They just further reinforce that by stating they don't respond fast enough to be safe in environments that transition in light level rapidly which in mining would seem like a regular occurrence.

Industrial Det cords and newer Industrial M Frame models carry a Z87+ stamp. I would have to check some of my SI models and Ballistics to see if they carry a Z87 stamp. Those carry a MIL-PRF-32432(GL) Ballistic Standard but I'm sure they are not interchangeable.

What is required may depend on the facility as some may only require a Z87 stamp and others may require a Z87+ (or Z87.1) With the Z87+ being high impact rated and the Z87 just basic impact rated. Also keep in mind if the lenses are replaceable they will carry their own Z87 stamp separate from the frame. In the case of an M Frame it is along the top of the brow ridge of the lens under the frame when its inserted, and to remain compliant they have to be replaced with another stamped lens.

@MicahS appreciate the insight here. I checked with some members of my crew and, according to them, as long a Z87 is stamped somewhere, they'll be accepted by MSHA at our facility.

One of my guys made the comment that Oakley's prizm lenses, and in essence, all new oakleys with prizm lenses would be MSHA approved, because of the shatter-proof technology in them. I feel like that's a reach, because I haven't found anything that indicates that normal prizm lenses meet the Z87 rating.

Back