• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

MX Helmet and Boot Recommendations.

rml0015

Oakley Beginner
Auburn
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've recently aquire a new (to me) KTM. It's my third off road bike among other atv's and such. Anyhow, I've never before worn gear when I ride and mostly escaped injury. I would like to think of myself as a tad wiser now and want to know from you some good or bad experiences with certain protective gear. Things like comfort or discomfort in a helmet or boot, the life and durability of the item, and I'm looking for light weight too!

I would recommend a Fox helmet, Alias jersey/pants which are very lightweight, and Alpinestar boots. Rode motocross for the last 6 years until just recently. I'm picky about how my gear felt and these ended up being my favorite brands for each thing.

If price isn't a concern, Shoei and Arai are both great choices. The main difference between the two is fitment, so if you get a chance and don't mind spending that kind of money on a helmet, try them both and see which fits better. I've mostly used Answer jerseys/boots/gloves and have been happy with them, though I don't think there's a whole lot of difference when it comes to pants/jerseys (I will say, I have had some durability issues with Thor gear, but I got it used, so that may have just been bad luck on my part). As for boots, that's another area where you definitely get what you pay for. I've tried Alpinestars and Gaerne, and while both make really nice boots, if I had to pick one or the other I'd give the nod to A*. I definitely recommend against getting cheap boots, I bought a $100 pair of Answer boots when I first started racing and severely injured my foot from washing out in a corner.

For boots buy a set of alpinestars tech 10's and call it done. Best boot on the market period, expensive but the protection is second to none. They have an inner braced boot that slides into the outer boot just like the supertech road boot and while you would think that it would make for a very stiff and uncomfortable boot it is the complete opposite once they break in. I've overshot and flatted a triple before completely casing out with both feet slamming into the dirt from about 25' and all I got was some bruised heels and ego.

Back