• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

My custom stuff (lens etching, 3d printing and vinyl)

Who isn't a relative? :twitch:
Sigh. Bye Frankie.
915700c11576d5f4d928a239a89967ef.gif
c121b290b5b338e8b1fc3574982d32df.jpg

Sent from Q's S8+

Good to see you @#1 Stunna! hope all is well.....almost time to see what our Dolphins got this year.
Thanks bro! I can't wait to see what we got this season. We have the most complete roster we've had in years! I think we could do some damage even though we got a rough schedule this year.

Oh man I haven't see you around in a while. Hope all is well! That should be doable. Let me see what I can come up with.
Lol thanks brother, I appreciate that! I check in every now and again to see how the fam is doing. I see you doing some pretty cool stuff!

I had to make a few adjustments and before I knew it I was out of black mid print. Red isn't too bad, it could be worse. I can just keep adding tiers now. I think I can go one more and still fit on the shelf. Just need to make a little cap for the top tier.
View attachment 354825 View attachment 354826 View attachment 354827

It looks like you are having a ton of success with assembling multi-print pieces, i have been struggling with that. What software do you use to model?

I'm an 8th grade stem teacher and am lucky to have a Makerbot Replicator 5th gen and a Replicator Plus. It has been really fiddly for my students to print things to join together. Typically, one piece needs to be oversized by .01-.03 mm to work. It all depends on the size of the print, the resolution, and which machine I print on... My students and I only export .stl files from tinkercad, so I think that has something to do with the issues. I wish i could run solid works on my school mac.

It looks like you are having a ton of success with assembling multi-print pieces, i have been struggling with that. What software do you use to model?

I'm an 8th grade stem teacher and am lucky to have a Makerbot Replicator 5th gen and a Replicator Plus. It has been really fiddly for my students to print things to join together. Typically, one piece needs to be oversized by .01-.03 mm to work. It all depends on the size of the print, the resolution, and which machine I print on... My students and I only export .stl files from tinkercad, so I think that has something to do with the issues. I wish i could run solid works on my school mac.
Mostly I use tinkercad. For some stuff I have to use fusion 360 but rarely and I'm still learning it.

Everything I've printed that needed to be put together has come out great. Anything preventing them from going together would be in slicer settings and bed leveling. I use Cura for slicing and one pi running octoprint for each printer. If you want to use fusion 360 you can get a free account and key for your school. It's really powerful but may be too much for 8th grade. Then again some of them may find it easy

I use to run the IT dept for a charter school district in New Orleans. I spent a long damn time in schools and do not miss it at all lol. I left right when they were getting their first 3D printers. I'm glad I just do it for myself and don't support them lol

Mostly I use tinkercad. For some stuff I have to use fusion 360 but rarely and I'm still learning it.

Everything I've printed that needed to be put together has come out great. Anything preventing them from going together would be in slicer settings and bed leveling. I use Cura for slicing and one pi running octoprint for each printer. If you want to use fusion 360 you can get a free account and key for your school. It's really powerful but may be too much for 8th grade. Then again some of them may find it easy

I use to run the IT dept for a charter school district in New Orleans. I spent a long damn time in schools and do not miss it at all lol. I left right when they were getting their first 3D printers. I'm glad I just do it for myself and don't support them lol
hmmm... i use the makerbot print software to slice and print... I am not so sure that i could use a 3rd party software to do that.

Tinkercad is perfect for a quick intro into CAD. Solidworks would be too much. I recently came across another software that looks like it might work but need to spend some time with it. I will also check out fusion. I really have about a week to a week and a half to teach them the software and give them time to mess around and play with the software. I then give my students a design challenge. I came up with a project to teach them the engineering design process as they design, print, test and then re-design the ultimate spork that is capable of scooping, picking up and cutting food. It ended up being an awesome project.

Sounds like you have some cool tools in your shop. Can your laser engraver also cut? I would love to get one of those.